Final design solution village health radio over mobile telephony
Village Health Radio over
for Tackling Child Mortality
Team: ‘Lets stop Child Mortality’ – Bharath, Cathy, Kirti, Saurabh, Vandana
• Form small groups of women in various villages which would consist of a mentor/
guide and 5 expectant mothers.
• Each group mentor will be termed as “SAKHI (Female Friend)”.
• While forming a group a or registering a women - “Sakhi” would collect all the
details from the women, manually. These would include : Name, age of the mother,
expected date of birth/ delivery and the mobile number.
• These women would meet up twice a week, and incase they don’t have personal
phones they would meet up thrice or four times a week.
• Every group would be provided a basic
cellphone, incase the women's do not
have a personal mobile phone.
• This is an IVR Health radio System which would work with Mobile telephony.
• There would be a toll free number that would be given to the women registered with the ‘Sakhi’
• The “Sakhi” or the mentor of the groups, would manually capture the information like the name, age
of the mother, expected date of birth/ delivery and the mobile number.
• By dialing “1” which would be an Emergency call number the women would be able to ask any
urgent queries that they have or get an assistance.
• Women groups can listen to pre-recorded Radio programs over the radio on their Mobile phones by
dialing a toll-free number followed by “2”. This would be a group activity thrice a week. Women would
get-together and would discuss their health issues and would listen to the radio based programs.
They would further discuss on the same, and could ask queries or give feedback once the program
• They can start recording their questions by clicking “2” on their mobile keypad. The answers to the
queries would be streamed the next time they are listening to the program.
• These queries typically go to the medial experts/ representatives or volunteers who would answer
and update on the web-based system that is supported by Mobilevaani.
• Once the query has been answered, the women would get an alert in the form of an SMS, this would
be the answer for their queries, which they can be discussed in the afternoons during their group
• These women would get prenatal advice: Information and guidance regarding diet, personal hygiene,
drugs, radiation, warning signs and child care in the form of information via SMS. They can
unsubscribe to these SMS by dialing “3” on this IVR system or even if they want to subscribe to any
specific details, for example details of nutrition.
• Similarly on dialing “4” there would be a Reminder system where all the list of doctors appointments
and medicines are available. Please note these expecting mothers would also get an SMS reminder
for doctors appointment and similarly can avail to medicine reminders system if any.
• Ideally mother should attend the antenatal clinic once a month for 7 months twice a month during
next month and there after once a week.. And in case a women is unable to attend the antenatal
clinic so often a minimum of 3 visits covering the entire period of pregnancy should be the targeted.
1st visit at 20weeks or as soon as pregnancy in known 2nd visit at 32 weeks and 3rd visit at
• The first visit should include health history, physical examination, lab examination(urine analysis,
complete blood count, Hb estimation, serological examinations, blood grouping and Rh
• On subsequent visits physical examination ( weight gain, blood pressure) lab tests(urine examination
and Hb estimation) Iron and folic Acid supplementation, immunization against tetanus, instruction on
nutrition etc., home visit by a female health worker or trained midwife and referral service when
• There would be Side-effects section on selecting “5” where the women can be able to access the
ongoing side-effects that may have because of the medicines if they have any or their current
• On dialing “6” the patients History can be accessed.
• The Expense calculator can be accessed by clicking on “7”, where the women can try to get
information of the future or ongoing medicines and can ask how much expenses would be for next
few months based on her requirements.
• In these group meetings the mentors would teach these expecting mothers the elements of child
care, nutrition, personal hygiene and environment sanitation.
• They would sensitize the mother to the need of family planning including advice to cases seeking
medical termination of pregnancy.
“Sakhi” groups are formed Meet-up 3 or 4 times a
3 days in a week
Women would call up the IVR system/
Mobile Vaani, and access the various features
of this system, while they are together.
They can do various group activities of
listening to the “Radio programs”.
Asks their queries over the phone.
These would be answered/ streamed on
the next program.
With the help of Mobile Vaani & the doctors,
These queries are answered and a SMS update
is delivered on the phone.
IVR call – Toll free number
• Radha is 27 years old and is
expecting a delivery in next 8
• She has registered her husband’s
mobile phone with the help of
• She had received a Toll free number
• Since 2 days she is feeling a lot
uneasy and dials this toll free
The system calls out saying “Welcome
to Village Health radio on Mobile
telephony for ‘Emergency’ - dial “1” for
‘Radio program’ - dial “2” ,for
‘Information’ - dial “3”, for ‘Reminder’ –
dial “4”, for ‘Side-effects’ – dial “5”, for
‘History’ – dial “6” and for ‘Expense
calculator’ – dial “7”.
• Radha clicks “1” and the IVR
system tells her to speak up
the query, if the pre-recorded
answer is available, Radha
would get to hear that, or she
would be connected with a