What is Android? It is a software cluster for mobile devices that include a operating system. Key Applications and middle ware. An Open Handset Alliance(OHA) Project. Based on Linux Kernel 3.0
Timeline Open handset alliance announces Android on November 5 th , 2007. Android market (Open content distribution system) announced on august 28 th , 2008 to connect users and developers. Android 1.0 SDK release 1 available on September 23 rd , 2008 and android developers have access to first 1.0 compatible SDK. Android open source project released android source on October 21 st , 2008. World’s first Android mobile (T-Mobile G1) launched on October 22 nd , 2008.
What is Open Handset Alliance? Its a consortium of several companies. Devoted to advancing open standards FOR mobile devices. Develop technologies that will significantly lower the cost of developing and Distributing mobile devices and services.
Linux Kernel Works as a HAL Device drivers Memory management Process management Networking
Libraries C/C++ libraries Interface through Java 2D and 3D graphics Media codecs, SQLite, Browser engine
Application Framework API interface Activity manager –manages application life cycle. Content Providers Content Providers––enable applications to access data from other applications
1. An Open Accessory API Allows external USB hardware (an Android USB accessory) to interact with an Android-powered device in a special "accessory" mode
2. Cloud Music Users will be able to upload their libraries, playlists, etc. Access them virtually anywhere from various devices whether online or offline
3. One OS for all Bridge the gap between tablets and phones
4. NFC Sharing (Near Field Communication) Bring the devices together and the data shared without launching an application or navigating through the UI.
5. Gaming Improvements Neat 3D stuff Better processor optimization
6.Expanding, Resizable widgets For enhanced multitasking and visual access to applications.
7. Ability to be a USB host We can hook up keyboards, mouse etc.
8. Face Detection Allow better coordination of a video chat/conference session by being able to highlight the speaker over and above the listener. Advanced Face-record
9. Uses a single UI interface UI inspiration from Honeycomb for Phone form factor Holographic UI Multitasking UI
10. Web Pages can be saved for reading offline
Advantages Free to customize All applications are equal A more mature platform More apps (because of its age) Fast and easy development
Limitations Very unstable and often hang or crash Extremely inconsistence in design among apps Difficult to use because if the above Relatively few if any update because the updates come from phone manufacturer not Google.
Conclusion Solid, proven, popular, open platform Used on wide range of devices Support from Google, telecom Low barriers to entry Major opportunity for new developers Creativity, hard work