State of Consciousness
MUHAMMAD AAMIR KIYANI
ROLL NO: 03
• Consciousness is the awareness of (unique) sensations,
thoughts, feelings memory and Environment.
Level of Consciousness:
• Non-conscious level:
It require less awareness and concentration and focus
Ex: heart rate, blood flow, autopilot
• Pre-conscious level:
Past info that can be recalled
• Sub/Unconscious level:
Total lack of sensory awareness of and response to environment
Ex: unacceptable feelings, wishes, urges
An altered state in which people become relatively unaware
of external stimulation.
•Eyes usually closed.
•Consciousness is fully lost
•Decrease in the body movement
•Decrease in the responsiveness to external stimuli.
INSOMNIA: PROBLEMS FALLING/STAYING ASLEEP
NARCOLEPSY: UNCONTROLLABLE SLEEP ATTACKS
SLEEP APNEA: STOP BREATHING DURING SLEEP
NIGHT TERRORS: SUDDEN AWAKENING FROM NON-REM SLEEP
Story-like series of thoughts, images, or emotions occurring during
The duration of the dream is about sec to 1 hour.
Sometimes logical and some times story-like.
Theories of Dream:
A) Wish Fulfillment Theory (Freud):
B) Dream for Survival Theory :
C) Activation-Synthesis Theory (Allan Hobson):
Hypnosis & MEDITATION
Altered state of consciousness in which people become deeply relaxed and highly
suggestible to changes in experiences & behaviors.
Application For hypnosis:
1) Controlling pain (practically useful in child birth and dental procedures)
2) Reducing smoke (to put this idea in subject mind that cigarette are unpleasant)
3) Treating psychological disorders (relaxation, reduce anxiety, increase expectations0
4) Assisting in law enforcement (recall the detail of a crime )
5) Improving athletic performance ( increase concentration)
Altered state of consciousness in which one directs their attention to achieve
inner peace and tranquility.
oMantra (words or syllable)
Psychopharmacology: Study of psychoactive drugs and their effects on
behavior & mental processes.
Affect our N.S. and alter states of consciousness, sensation & perception,
emotions & motivation, and thoughts.