Partnerships with 104 MFIs in 49 Countries!
How does Kiva Work?
A loan is
made on Kiva
every 31 seconds
Kiva moves money
• Lenders choose a
person to lend to
• An MFI gets the money
• The MFI lends the
money to the borrower
• The borrower repays
• The MFI repays Kiva
• Kiva repays the lenders
What are the good things
• With a relatively small amount of money, poor people
can start or improve their business
• Most formal lending institutions won’t lend to them.
• Microfinance can help women and girls
• Microfinance works inside communities
• Microfinance is empowering
• Microfinance is person to person development
What are the bad things about
• Takes a long time to get a loan
• Borrowers have to do a lot of things to get a loan
– So borrowers look for MFIs with the fewest requirements
– What does this mean?
• It costs a lot to give a loan, so interest rates are high
– How high?
• Not everyone wants a business, some wish they
could be an employee
Sierra’s Unhappy Story
others stories like
this…but not for
Sierra’s Complicated Story
loans for lots of
But- mostly stories are about small
What Can You Do?
• Creative way to make providing loans cheaper-
• Support business training in the developing world
• Support nonprofits that provide other, non-financial
• Buy products sold by microborrowers (ahkun.org)
• Listen to people
• Support local small businesses
• Speak another language
• Learn as much as you can about the world
…and lend to