Here I have given some of the Recommendations given
by the IB for writing essay questions
Follow these guidelines for the tomorrow paper 2
Recommendations and guidance for the students
writing essay questions
1. Ensure an actual study of an existing ecosystem. Local level case studies
should be used wherever possible to reinforce and illustrate concepts .
2. Encourage candidates to go for precision in their answers rather than
vague statements. Exemplar material could be used to illustrate this.
3. Advise candidates to break answers into sections rather than write as
4. Candidates should be instructed to leave at least a line between part
questions for clarity.
5. It may be helpful to encourage candidates to move away from pictorial
flow diagrams to simple boxes and arrows.
6. Encourage candidates to draw diagrams when appropriate.
7. Candidates should be taught to read the questions carefully before
answering, and to frame their answers with an eye to the mark scheme.
8. Evaluation requires both sides of an argument to be explored.
9. Encourage students to break up their answers into the relevant sub
sections to make it easier for the examiner to identify which part of the
question they are answering
10. Candidates should be encouraged to write within the space provided
within the exam paper.