10 WAYS TO LOVE
(or at least, stop hating it).
Stuart Chadwick, Solutions Director
Stuart has 14 years elearning experience as a Sales
Director, Consultant, ELearning Designer, LMS/CMS
Designer & Project Leader
• City & Guilds Kineo are a world leading, award winning workplace
learning services provider
• We offer elearning and LMS services, accreditation, apprenticeships and
Lewis John, Solutions Consultant
Lewis is an experienced UX Designer and Consultant, who
has also managed large scale web projects and supports CG
Kineo clients including Nikon, Sony, the FA and TUC
How is your
• Have one, love it
• Have one, don’t love it?
• Don’t have one, but looking for love
• Broke up with one, on the rebound
Whatever your answer – why?
I know looks aren’t everything
– but they are something…
#01 PET HATE
And now, some pictures of nice things that are
LMSs. Conveniently enough.
• Make it beautiful
• Choose an LMS that can look any way you want
• Get graphic artists to design it
• Get on brand, not just logo
#01 LOOKS MATTER
If your LMS has all the charm of a
database, you can’t expect much love.
I just can’t figure you out. You’re
a mystery wrapped in a bad
design inside a pop-up window.
#02 PET HATE
• Be UX-rated (User eXperience)
• Consider learner, manager AND admin journeys
• Build the right experience for each audience
and involve them in the design
Often the LMS puts tracking, reporting
and admin usage, user and manager
#02 DESIGNED BY
I never know where I am with
you – there’s weird stuff below
#03 PET HATE
• Design consistently throughout the system
• Pick a partner who can design the blend, the LMS
and all of the content
• Or at least, have standards and guidelines to avoid
dating the bride of Frankenstein
If the home page looks great, but your
elearning and content don’t live up to
it, people will feel cheated.
PAGE LOOKING PRETTY
#03 GETTING THE HOME
#04 PET HATE
I spent all this money on you,
but you still want more…
What is influencing
• Increasing user numbers
• Extra features we need
• Extra features we don’t need
• HR and admin time
• Our supplier put the prices up
• Consider the whole cost: implementation,
hosting, support, licence fees, upgrades,
your time, your learners’ time…
• Go Open Source:
• Lower cost of implementation
• Reduced on-costs – makes a real difference
if you have large user numbers
• More flexibility
• Fast evolving roadmap
#04 COSTS MATTER
Can you afford your LMS relationship?
Over £1m saved using Totara
This is a great tool, really
supporting me to get my guys on
courses relevant to their needs and
I can see this can only add benefit.
Senior Merchandising Planning Manager
£800K saved in year 1 using Totara
BMI targeted the right compliance training at the
right audiences at the right time with audience
management and renewals features
This significantly reduced the amount of time spent
on annual mandatory training.
The overall cost saving on an annual basis equated
to 31FTE – over £800,000 worth of time.
You never do anything that I want
to do. Why are you so inflexible?
#05 PET HATE
• Find a flexible friend
• Your needs are going to change, can your LMS
vendor keep up?
• If available, customisation and configuration can
make your LMS work the way you want
• Because you’re you
But lots of LMSs do what they do.
#05 YOUR NEEDS ARE
You promised me you’d stay with
me. Why you no call any more?
#06 PET HATE
• Seek a long term, supportive partner
• LMS is change management, not just another
• Approach it with needs analysis, UX design,
implementation, launch planning, evaluation,
hosting, support, global team, local support
• Launching the LMS is the beginning, not the end
Making the LMS work in year 2 is harder
than the implementation.
NOT A DATE
#06 IT’S A PARTNERSHIP,
• Desktop / laptop
If ‘other’ then what?
do you need your
LMS to work on?
• Make it Mobile
• Choose an LMS that works on any device
• Also consider mobile, multi-device elearning (such
as Adapt open source)
Your learners expect the intranet,
email and loads more on their iPads,
iPhone, Androids, wherever…
The LMS and its content need to be
#07 WE LIVE IN A
You don’t like any of my
friends. Why do you just
sit there on your own?
#08 PET HATE
You already have HR systems, Talent
systems, CRM systems – and maybe
another LMS (it happens).
Make sure your LMS will play nicely
#08 YOU’VE GOT TO
Bi-directional, data sync, single-sign on –
whatever it takes…
• Data warehouse
Join CG Kineo’s webinar on 26 March
It’s not you, it’s me. I’ve just
outgrown you. Ok – it’s you.
#09 PET HATE
• Be clear with vendors on whether this is a 1
year or 5 year vision – the approach and cost
will be different
• Pick a system that can start small, or subject
specific and scale up as needed
• We globally manage many 100,000+ user LMSs
– nearly all started as a pilot
Are you solving a tactical challenge, or do
you need an LMS that can work at 10
times your current size, as you grow?
LIFE? OR A FLING?
#09 IS YOUR LMS FOR
94% would recommend the LDZ
The Leadership Development Zone
has acted as a real catalyst to the
formation of a learning culture
within The Co-operative.
Director of Group Resourcing & Development
Nikon global Nikon country Retailer Localised portal
I want to see other people
…you ok with that?
#10 PET HATE
#10 CONSIDER YOUR
• Are your suppliers, channel partners, customers
part of the LMS audience? If so…
• Can your LMS cope with different reseller
audiences, regions, languages, sub-brands,
• Can it keep competitive information and reports
separate and safe?
Reach the parts that others can’t
Reach the parts that others can’t
#10 CONSIDER YOUR
A channel partner approach can combine:
• Product knowledge & sales content
• Integration with CRM
• Partner certification and assessment
• Marketing and incentive management
Bring back the
1. Remember, looks matter
2. Design for all your users
3. Design the whole experience
4. Consider on-going costs and use OS!
5. Choose a flexible system to meet needs
6. Pick a long-term partner
7. Cater for multi-device delivery
8. Be able to integrate
9. Plan your LMS roadmap
10. Consider your extended enterprise
More love for you and your LMS at
LMS Planning Guide
More about Totara LMS
Totara User Forum: 15 May, London
Managed Learning Service webinar: 26 March
Contact City & Guilds Kineo