Enhancing and Extending Classroom Learning Through Video Conferencing
Lauren Murphy, @Lauren_Murphy5, Fifth Grade Teacher, Springside Chestnut Hill Academy, Philadelphia, PA,
With Kim Sivick, @ksivick Coordinator of Technology
Enhancing and Extending
Classroom Learning Through
Director of Professional and Organizational Development
Pennsylvania Association of Independent Schools
What is your objective?
• Simple social connection
• Gain knowledge from expert
• Presentation to a global audience
• Collaborative learning experience
How will video conferencing
enhance and extend your
Find a connection………….
go back to your objective
Is this a simple social video call?
Are you seeking an opportunity for your student's to
Hoping to gain knowledge from an expert?
Explore all your connections
• Family and friends
• Professional acquaintances
• Social media
• Numerous Skype in education lists
• Look for a school with a similar student body
Test your system and practice
with a friend outside of your
Planning your presentation
• Try to have a background that is calm
• Choose one centrally located computer
• Use a microphone that students can easily share
• Establish classroom rules for the session
• it’s very important that both parties have practiced
using video conferencing prior to student
• check and double check your equipment
• Confirm the time and time zone
• Plan to communicate and check the system one day
prior to student involvement
• check slides/videos
Day of the event
• 30 min-1 hour prior, confirm and test connection
• remind students of the rules
• place the call
• Begin with an introduction, allow a few minutes for
the students to get comfortable and ask a few
• Relax, it’s a learning opportunity
• If necessary, remind your students to say thank you
For students and teachers
What did you remember?
Can you describe the video conference
in 3 paragraphs?
Did you notice any areas that need improvement?
How would you rate yourself as a participant?