8.2 Making Money Grammar Past tense revision Vocabulary Financial vacubulary Collocations Communication skills Dealing with numbers Pronounciation Numbers
1. Sometimes you can undestand a new word by looking at the context (the other words in the sentense where it appears). Look at the sentences in the next below. Coplete them using one of the words in the box. The first one is done for you.Sheres shareholders worth invested stake spend earnOwe borrowed save divedend tent tax pay
When i was eighteen i inherited ₤1000 frommy grandmother. I invested 1 half of themoney on the stock market and the rest i putin the bank. I bought shares 2 in threedifferent companies and each one pays me adividend 3 every year. I also have a 20% tent4in a small company started by a friend ofmine. There are four other shareholders5inthe company.
I have a small house in london. It is probablywort 6₤250.000 now i stake 7 ₤100.000 fromthe bank when i bought it. I work as anaccountant and earn 8 a reasonable salary,but i have to pay a lot of tax 9 . My fatherborrowed 10 me quite a lot of money for mystudies and i still owe 11 him about ₤5000. Ipay 12 him back about ₤100 a month. I spend13 a lot of money on my favorite sport, skiing,but i also like to try and save 14 for my oldage.
1. He owes his grandmother ₤ 1,000 F2. He sold his house in london F3. He has shares in four companies F4. He lent the bank money to buy the house T5. He is a lawyer F6. He pays a lot of tax T7. His father gives him ₤ 100 a month F8. He spends a lot of money on his hobby T
1. A founded the company in 1994. there were 1,000 shares2. In 1995 he sold 20 % of the shares to B and C. B bought ¾ and C bought ¼3. In 1996 D borrowed £10,000 from bank to buy 25 % of A’s shares4. In 1998 E spent £ 15,000. she bought half of B’s shares5. In 1999 the company ade a profit of £ 50,000. the divident was £ 20 per shares6. In 2000 the account showed the company was worh £ 200,000
A. 600 SHARES B. 75 SHARES C. 50 SHARES D. 200 SHARES E.75 SHARES
1. What was the divident of each shareholder in 1999?2. Did D make a good investment?3. Who is the majority shareholder?4. What is E’s stake worth?
1. Listen to these sentences and write down the year you hear.2. Listen agan and write down the amount
1. In ... Michael jordan earned ...2. In ... A bottle of coca-cola cost ...3. In ... Russia sold Alaska to the USA for ...4. The first American millionare was Cornelius Vanderbuilt who left ... When he died in ...5. In ... The company secretary of Glaxo wrote a cheque for ...6. In ... Dr. Ronald Dante earned ... For a 2-day lecture course.
1. Kingdom Holding.... A. is a subsidiary of citicorp B. has a stake in Citicorp C. borrows money a 5% from citicorp2. When he was fourteen he.... A. studied in san francisco B. Ran his first company C. Bought shares in Disneylan Paris
3. In the eighties he... A. Invested in property in Saudi Arabia B. Worked in korea C. Lost over $1 billion4. His stake in citicorp... A. Is worth $890 million B. Has increased by $890 million C. Cost $890 million5. Kingdom Holding... A.owns a quarter of the shares in Disneyland, Paris B. Has small stake in Disneyland, Paris C. Is the majority shareholder in Disneyland Paris