My original masthead was this shown below and I did this by creating a rectangle box filling it red, reducing theopacity to about 80% and putting the BASELINE text in. Then I used the rubber tool to rub out the edges of the wordsto create a broken cracking effect. Although this masthead does look okay the font needs a box to lay on otherwise itlooks wrong but mastheads that big don’t sit right at the top of magazines when they are in boxes. Al thoughmagazines such as NME and SPIN use boxes they are short words and can be put in one corner of the magazinewhereas this has to go across the page and I didn’t think it suited so I created a new one.
Again I used the rubber create streaks through thewriting giving it a scratched effect.
This is the image I used for the main image on my frontcover. This was taken at college by against the graffiti wall.
I didn’t like the green colours in the graffiti wall as I thought having one colour which was blue as I thought this main image of the models stand out and not concentrate on the boldness of the backdrop as the models are the important feature. So I used the clone stamp and copied parts of the backdrop to cover up the green.
Next I added in my masthead which I had already made and using the same technique I added in the coverlines and to create the scratched effect as seen in the word foals and featured throughout my magazine I just simply selected the rubber and then clicked on the brush style and chose number 11and then using a small size just carefully rubbed out parts of the word. To do this I had to rasterize the layer which meant I could not edit the wording of the text anymore.
After adding in all the text which I had applied the previous technique to all of it I used thetechnique white on black which is commonly used in popular magazine ‘NME’ and all most all others at some point, I used this for the first time in my ‘RADAR’ magazine. It gives themagazines pull quotes more visibility but you can still use subtle colours which are sometimes needed in magazines like mine unlike the ‘Popsplash’ one I did.
The white on black effect is done by just creating a a rectangle box as shown below andthen filling it in the appropriate colour to compliment and emphasise the text. I used a variation of colours on the front cover depending on the text colour.
The I added in shapes using the shape tool to add a bit of a conventional professional look to my magazine as lots feature shapes that that point towards text and to emphasisecertain parts of the cover. I just had to make sure that the layer I wanted to be visible was higher up on the layer bar eg. The red cross at the bottom had to be above the black pentagon other wise it wouldn’t be on top of it so I just clicked and dragged it to the correct place.
Finally I put in the band name for my main article ‘Inter City’ and I used a shadow effect onthis by double clicking on the layer and then clicking drop shadow, multiply, black and making the opacity to 75% I did this because I think it makes the text bolder and pop out at the reader.
Firstly I established my basic layout to the contents page and I did this by putting in boldboundary marks using the rectangle tool and filling them in black. (I knew my basic outlinesdue to having drawn up flat plans by hand) And I added in a small masthead at the bottomwhich I just dragged over then free transformed down to size.
Next I wrote out all my text and used the same technique which was the rubber and scratchingout little parts of the writing. I dint scratch out the numbers as I didn’t want to overuse thetechnique so I created rectangle boxes alternating between black and red so the house style iscontinued.
Next I had to highlight and link all the layers from my front cover and drag it across to mycontents page so that the reader can see the front cover without flicking back and forthbetween the two
For my DPS I again began by marking out the boundaries for every thing by using therectangle shape tool then filling the in black.
Next I decided where to put a pull quote so I made a white rectangle box to cover over the line and then made a red rectangle box and reduced the opacity to 78% as it looked to bright at full opacity.
I wrote the text for the DPS in word first so that it would review all my spelling and grammar and there is a screen shot of it.
I copy and pasted the writing into the DPS and put it into columns.
I used some of the more interesting parts of the article as pull quotes by copying and pasting them out of the text and enlarging it by free transforming and changing the colours.
To finish off I dragged the Inter city title from the contents page and free transformed itbigger. I then put in a picture of Adam and Pete on a black background which I made using the rectangle shape tool.
Everything was done the same on each DPS page and on the second page I changed animage to black and white to give it and authentic look I did this by selecting the layer tabfor the picture, going into image, the adjustments and the selecting black and white.