Prepare for Part I of Test Tomorrow
Warm-Up: Review Equations
Absolute Value Equations
Questions from Yesterday’s Work
Class Work: Absolute Value Equations
Extra Credit Note:
*All those who submitted answers last week were correct.
This week’s extra credit to be posted today.
Also @ the v6math site:
Complete step-by-step guide to Absolute Value
Equations & Inequalities
Sample Questions and Answers; view the slideshow
online or download it to your computer.
Warm - Up: Multi-Step with Distribution
2. −2(4k+1) = −10k − 101. −(−5q+1) = − 4(7−8q)
2. 2x - 5 + x - 7 = 8 - 5x + 4 3. 3(2x + 5) = 3(x - 2)
Thursday is the mid point of the 1st quarter. Write a
fraction showing what part of the school year we have
4. True or False: |-x| = |x| Why or Why Not?
Practice Problems: Equations with Fractions
3x + 9 = 36; 3x = 27; x = 9
What are the steps to solve an absolute value equation?
1. Isolate the Absolute Value | |on one side.
2. Split the Absolute Value into two equations.
3. Solve for the positive exactly the way it is written.
4. Solve for the negative by taking the opposite of the
5. Check your answers by plugging them in!
1. Solve: |x+ 5| = 3 2. Solve: |4x - 1| = 19
3. Solve: 5|x + 3|- 3 = 7
Remember: You always solve 2 equations with
Absolute Value Equations.
Absolute Value Equation Handout:
Girls: Even, Guys: Odd
Must Show Work on Back or Another Sheet of Paper
This Week @ the Khan Academy:
Equivalent forms of Expressions 1
Absolute Value Handout: #'s 25-32