K. Academy Topics
Warm-Up: (0 Questions)
1. Ratio Word Problems
2. Rate Problems .5
3. Rates & Proportional Relationships
Topics are due by December 20 for online and Alt.Khan.
**Waaaaay too many people have a grade
of zero for their homework grade (Khan),
which is 20% of your overall grade.
The ratio 90 can be simplified by dividing:
90 = 30
or 30 mi/(1)h
1. A 64 oz. Apple Juice costs $1.35. Find the unit rate.
Which unit, (oz. or $) do we want to reduce to 1?
2. A 12 slice pizza costs $9.00. Find the unit rate.
3. Which is the better buy: A 12 oz. bottle of juice
for $0.85, or an 8 oz. can of juice for $0.50?
Ratios Involving Measurement
1. Express the ratio 6 feet to 15 inches as a fraction in
Six feet = 72 in. Simplify 72/15; the answer is 24/5
*Change the larger unit to the smaller one. 3 pints = 6cups.
The ratio is now 6 cups to 2 cups. Simplify to: 3/1
The shadow of a 4 ft. tall mailbox is 3 ft. long.
If the shadow of a tree is 36 ft. long, how tall
is the tree?
144 = 3H
H = 48
You must be careful to place the
same quantities in corresponding
positions in the proportion
The tree is 48 ft. tall