This was to prevent ships from coming to defend ConstantinoplePillaged the city for three days
Only religion not allowed was polytheismDid have limitations: forbidden to share the gospel with Muslims…their church building could not be larger than the local mosque…regulated the size and ringing of the bells
Ch 11 sec 2
• Under rule of Mehmet II
• Concentrated on conquering Constantinople
that the Byzantine empire controlled
• The Ottomans set up a fort on each side of the
• They entered the city on May 29, 1453.
• Constantinople was changed to Istanbul and
was permanent capital of Ottoman Empire
• Ottomans became one of the most advanced
fighting forces in the world
– Used small cannon, called falcons
– Used muskets
– Used fast
– Used tactic of
• They had a simple system of rule
• Controlled wealth by limiting taxation on the
• Used qualified officials (no matter their
background) and this resulted in a stable
• Ottomans viewed the merchants and artisans
(skilled craftsmen) as essential to the success
of the empire
• Ottoman empire was between the West and
East so trade had to pass through the Empire.
• They would buy the treasures and re-sell them
at a profit
• This is why Europeans looked for a different
route to the East
• Other religions were allowed if you paid a tax
to the government.
• European forces defeated the Ottomans in
Vienna in 1683.