10 Ways to Help your Students Become Better Researchers
Ten Ways to Help your
Students Become Better
As students become strategically exposed to
specific research skills across the grade
levels and within different curriculums, they
will become more fluent and adept.
Therefore, they will become more comfortable
with the skill and, ultimately, become better
The following slides will offer a countdown of ten
easy requirements that you can add to your
projects to help students become better
• Choose one for their first project
• Add a second for their next, etc.
• Attempt to strategically help your students grow
as they move through the grade levels.
#1: Annotated Bibliography
Require them to annotate
their bibliography to justify
their selection of quality
#2: Incorporation of Statistics
Require that they
incorporate statistics into
an essay or require that
they create an
#3: Organizing Research
Require that they use the
outline and notecard
#4: Ethical Research
Require that they utilize and
cite copyright friendly
#5: Subscription Resources
Require that they utilize
and cite articles from
and subscription eBooks.
#6: Provide Access to Resources
Provide access on your
website to all of the tools
that they need to access
during the research
#7: Varied Viewpoints
Require students to seek
varied cultural, political,
military, or religious
viewpoints and utilize
#8: Scholarly Journals
Require and ASSIST your
students in utilizing articles
published within scholarly
#9: Trending Information
Require your students to
utilize social media to
#10: Development of Presentation
ASSIST your students in
developing their personal
presentation style and in
locating tools to enhance
Suggested Skills for 9th Grade
• Accession of reliable varied print and electronic resources.
• Enhancing research with statistics and incorporating them into
• Utilizing traditional reading strategies for active online reading.
• Creation of a cloud-based bibliography, notecards, and outline.
• Citing information parenthetically (when and how to quote,
paraphrase, and use own ideas).
• Conduct ethical research by utilizing plagiarism checks, citing
properly, utilizing copyright friendly media.
• Developing personal presentation style.
Suggested Skills for 10th Grade
• Accession of resources which provide varied viewpoints
(cultural, political, military, religious, etc.)
• Utilizing primary sources successfully.
• Contribution of ideas with collaborative group of learners with
the goals of developing and communicating ideas.
• Development of questioning strategies.
Suggested Skills for 11th Grade
• Locating articles from scholarly journals
• Using reading strategies to successfully extract useful
information from within an article from a scholarly journal to
support their thesis statement.
• Creating an annotated bibliography which justifies selection of
balanced and quality resources.
Suggested Skills for 12th Grade
• Utilizing social media to access information.
• Seeking classic works of information to access original thought
on a topic.
• Use feedback (peer or instructor) to guide the research
• Development of system to regulate and self monitor research.
• Participation in reflection of the research process.
• Contribution of knowledge gleaned to the wider learning
This presentation has been
developed as the result of a study
group at Palisades High School in
which participants were:
Carole Lee Deemer
PowerPoint template located at: