It’s no longer about manipulating the search engines
“You should never know in
advance a link is coming, or
where it’s coming from”
Duane Forrester, Bing
Content Rules to Keep
Link Building Natural
1) Remove Any Suspect Links or Poor Performing Content
You need to start with a solid
baseline – that may mean
reviewing your history of
If there’s anything suspect
there, do a clean-up so that
you can start fresh.
2) Integrate Your Digital Team = Natural Footprint
The best results come from a
centralised content strategy.
This allows you to produce
great content and promote it
from all angles to a wider
audience - creating a natural
footprint that isn’t just focused
Digital PR and
Paid Amplification &
Reporting and Insight
3) Build Your Audience & Give Them a Reason to Come Back
4) Build Data Driven Brand Assets
6) Make it Win Win
This is how much traffic we
generated from content placed
Traffic = Impressions = Cash
Give them the best content you
can and they won’t be able to
wait until you come back!
7) Build Human Engagement (Co-Citations are Natural)
8) Avoid SEO Footprints - Check Anchor Text Distribution
Keep it brand focused and
“Other anchor text” is under-
rated, mix it up and have a
natural link spread which links
throughout your domain, not
just to your homepage.
Also be sure to check your
outbound links regularly and fix
any broken links you may
10) Link Out to Other Influencers Naturally
11) Aim for Good Topical Relevancy
12) Promote for Local PR attention
13) Create World Class Content to Justify the Placement
14) Creativity Opens More Difficult Doors
15) Published isn’t good enough - pitch to be the best!
16) Target the Right Links, Not Volume
What are the top publishers
within your industry?
Target them, tailor your
approach specifically and don’t
worry about the rest!
17) Big link spikes are only natural if it’s PR - leverage it!
To create the best content, you
need the best ideas!
Do you research on what top
content within your sector
looks like, and get
Get away from your screen, go
for a walk – just make sure you
take a pen!
18) What type of content ranks, gets shares & attracts links
19) Hire the best in your industry
20) If all else fails, ask WWMCD? (what would Matt Cutts do)
Next Step - Get Started!
Managing Director, BlueGlass
Thank You for Listening!
BlueGlass is changing the digital
marketing agency space by
combining content, search and
conversion with a special
emphasis on data driven metrics.
Learn more about how we do