Search API: Use Cases
● Searching OCR generated text to find words or phrases
within a book, newspaper or other primarily textual
● Searching transcribed content, provided by crowd-sourcing
or transformation of scholarly output.
● Searching multiple streams of content, such as the
translation or edition, rather than the raw transcription
of the content, to jump to the appropriate part of an
● Searching on sections of text, such as defined chapters
● Searching for user provided commentary about the
resource, either as a discovery mechanism for the
resource or for the discussion.
● Discovering similar sections of text to compare either
the content or the object.
IIIF Newspaper Interest Group Goals
● To determine development + Usage of IIIF for digital
● To demonstrate best practice in exploitation of IIIF for
● To promote usage of IIIF for Newspapers
● To consider related formats, especially serials
● To explore and exploit possibilities for search,
discovery, and annotation of Newspapers
Chairs: Karen Estlund, Penn State & Glen Robson, National
Library of Wales
Special Thanks to Glen! I’ll be using examples from National Library of Wales throughout.
IIIF Newspaper Resources
● Newspaper IG Page: http://iiif.
● Newspaper IG Working Documents: goo.gl/jNFfVw
● IIIF Awesome: https://github.com/IIIF/awesome-iiif
● IIIF User Stories: https://github.com/IIIF/iiif-stories/
● Slack Channel: iiif.slack.com #newspapers
○ Email firstname.lastname@example.org to be added
● Code of Conduct: http://iiif.io/event/conduct/
IIIF Newspapers Best Practices Document (Draft)
OCR and ALTO in Open Annotations
Also Recommend Link to the OCR in the Manifest
Getting Newspapers Into IIIF
● Quick Start Guide for IIIF: http://iiif.io/technical-
● Newspaper Best Practices Model: Forthcoming, Draft:
● NDNP Data
○ Open ONI (open source fork from Chronicling America
○ RAIS image server: https://github.com/uoregon-
○ Python Library to host static images: https://github.
IIIF Guidance in Open ONI / How to use APIs