IIIF, Annotations, & Discourse
Co-chair, IIIF Newspaper Interest Group
Member, Coordinating Committee
Associate Dean for Technology & Digital Strategies
Penn State University Libraries
● Problem Statement
● What is IIIF?
● Role of Annotations
● Active IIIF efforts
● Mirador Demo
Search API: Use Cases
● Searching OCR generated text to find words or phrases
within a book, newspaper or other primarily textual
● Searching transcribed content, provided by crowd-sourcing
or transformation of scholarly output.
● Searching multiple streams of content, such as the
translation or edition, rather than the raw transcription
of the content, to jump to the appropriate part of an
● Searching on sections of text, such as defined chapters
● Searching for user provided commentary about the
resource, either as a discovery mechanism for the
resource or for the discussion.
● Discovering similar sections of text to compare either
the content or the object.
Evening public ledger. (Philadelphia, PA),
December 07, 1918, Final, Image 20
Discourse and Representation Across TIme