A well tested projection that was based upon
the actual healthcare operations with
forecasted volume analysis. Created to model
future state scenarios in order to compare
and identify situations in which variation had
the greatest impact on operations and facility
This simulation was Simio’s solutions for the
healthcare industry cover hospitals,
healthcare institutions and regional
The Nebraska Medical center saw an opportunity
during the programming phase of their future
comprehensive cancer center to rethink the surgery
The goal of the project was to determine the
optimal future location(s) for specific patient
populations based on prioritized operational goals.
Given the complexity and variation within the
system, discrete event simulation was deemed as
the best tool for this analysis.
Result: A well tested projection that was based
upon the actual operations (including variation) of
The Nebraska Medical Center as well as the
forecasted volumes analysis.
Healthcare design for high effectiveness
–Determine the best layout for your new
healthcare with respect to service, quality, and
Rationalize facilities in a regional hospital
–Simulate a healthcare that is suited for your
desired location. Considering different
elements such as population and number of
Reducing waiting times in the emergency
– Enables you to create a design that will reduce
waiting time for more effective service.
Efficient design for clinics
– Create a healthcare design based on your own
service level target.
– Helps you create a healthcare design that is suited
for different situations and population.
What is the best layout for my new outpatient
clinic with respect to service, quality and cost?
– Create a healthcare layout that will give the best
service and quality with the lowest cost possible.
What is the impact of implementing a new
– Determine the effects of adding new processes in the
system. Implementing a new process can slow down
or improve service.
What is the impact of different patient mixes and
– Shows how different number of patients will affect
the healthcare’s services.
What is the impact of staffing on meeting my
service level targets?
– Determines how many workers are needed for your
How should my facilities evolve to meet
– Possible changes that you can apply to your
healthcare that would able to accompany the
changing number of populations/patients.
1) Increased operating room utilization during
staffed peak hours.
2) Decreased operating room utilization during non-
3) Increased utilization of equipment specific rooms
(resulting in a need for fewer total operating
4) Reduced surgeon travel distances and frequency.
5) Reduced patient travel distances.
6) Reduced turnover times by services by patient type.
Simulates a system where it is too expensive or risky
to do live tests.
– Simulation provides an inexpensive, risk-free way to test
changes ranging from a "simple" revision to an existing
production line to emulation of a new control system or
redesign of an entire supply chain.
Simulates a large or complex system for which
change is being considered.
– A "best guess" is usually a poor substitute for an
objective analysis. Simulation can accurately predict
their behavior under changed conditions and reduce the
risk of making a poor decision.
Provides process variability.
– A spreadsheet analysis cannot capture the dynamic
aspects of a system, aspects which can have a major
impact on system performance. Simulation can help you
understand how various components interact with each
other and how they affect overall system performance.
Provides complete data.
– Simulation cannot invent data where it does not exist, but
simulation does well at determining sensitivity to
unknowns. A high-level model can help you explore
alternatives. A more detailed model can help you identify
the most important missing data.
Able to communicate ideas.
– Development of a simulation helps participants better
understand the system. Modern 3D animation and other
tools promote communication and understanding across
a wide audience.