1. History Of Indian Railway
2. Types of Traction System
3. Non Electric traction system coaches
4. System Of Track Electrification
5. Power Supply For Jaipur Railway Station
6. Control Panel
7. AC generator
8. Single Line Diagram of non AC coaches
9. AC System and AC coaches load.
10. Major Equipments.
Railway was introduced in madras in 1832. First train in Indian
Railway between Mumbai to Thana on 16th April 1853.Now 17
zones in Indian Railway one is NWR Jaipur and Jaipur Junction
established in 1875 and in 2002 it made a NWR zone .
One of India’s most famous and luxurious train The Palace On
Wheels stop at Jaipur.
Indian railway is second biggest electrified system in the world
after Russia. In India 21,000KM of total routes are electrified.
System of Traction :
1. Non Electric traction system
Ex. Direct steam engine drive.
2. Electric traction system.
a) Self-contained locomotives.
b) Electric Vehicle fed from distribution networks.
Advantages and Disadvantages of non electric traction system
over electric traction system-
Advantages : Disadvantages :
1. Capital cost. 1. Cleanliness.
2. Failure of power. 2. Starting time.
3. Interference to communication lines. 3. Braking.
4. Limitation. 4. limitation of fuel.
5. Problem of Regeration. 5. Maintenance cost.
On the self generating two tier air conditioned coaches, Chair cars
and compressor coaches, 2 brush less alternators of 18 KW capacities
The DC outputs from the two alternators are paralleled with the
In mid on generating coaches usually 30KVA brush less alternator
used and generation is at 415V,3-phase,50 cycles. And in EOG
coaches power at 750VAC or 415VAC stepped down 110VAC.
Express trains having heavy load use EOG coaches. Both EOG and
MOG coaches the lights and fan are operated 110VAC.
Alternator RRU & ERRU
Inverter Battery Bank
The track electrification system are categorized into:
1. DC system.
2. Single phase AC system.
3. Three phase AC system.
4. Composite system
a) Single phase-Three phase system.
b) Single phase-Direct current system.
The electrical power supplies arrangement for the station:
Light , fan , LED display and other electrical equipment.
To junction offices, DRM office and railway colonies.
The panels are:
o Loco colony panel.
o Station panel.
o Ganpati nagar panel.
Motor types used in AC
Blower 1.5 HP 1
Compressor 7 HP 2
Condenser 1.5 HP 2
Brushless Alternators : -
Induction type Alternators used in non AC coaches are
4.5KW/37.5A/120V DC.18KW 2 unit in parallel with
RRU,battery, brush less alternators are used on AC
The brushless alternator with the help of static rectifier cum
regulator unit is capable of developing voltage from
minimum speed to maximum speed.
Rectifier Cum Regulator Unit : -
RRU is connected just beside the alternator to rectify the output of
A magnetic amplifier is connected which convert the 3-phase input to
A safety fuse of 10amp is connected to prevent the RRU box from
The RRU has following functions:
1. To rectify the 3-phase AC output of the alternator through DC full wave bridge rectifier.
2. Regulator the voltage generated by the alternator at the set value.
3. Regulating the output current.
Battery and Battery Charging Terminals: -
The output of the RRU is given to battery box to charge the battery .
In a non AC coaches a battery box consist of 18 cells(6V/120Ah
each) ,In AC coaches 2 battery box 56 cells(2V/1100Ah each) used.
BCT is provided for external charging of the batteries at stations or
Used Battery in train is VRLA (Valve Regulated Lead Acid) types
1. Topping up with water is not required.
2. Periodical checking of specific gravity is not required.
3. Regular maintenance to avoid sulphation of terminals and connections not required.
Rotary Junction Box : -
Rotary Junction Box is provided inside the coaches.
It is used to arrange and control the power supply to various
circuit of the coaches (e.g. light, fan) with the help of rotary
switches and HRC fuses.
4 Rotary switches are connected in Rotary Junction Box:
1. The first switch is used to supply 70% light load in coach.
2. The second switch is used to supply 30% light load in coach.
3. . The third switch is used to supply fan load in coach.
4. The fourth switch is known as EFT switch.
Fluorescent Tube Light : -
It is a 2 feet long,18 Watt fluorescent tube light provided in
the coach for the sitting gallery light and 11watt for toilet
It works at 110V DC supply.
It gives good light with 30% and 70% power supply.
Emergency Feed Terminals : -
It is provided at the both end of the coach to feed the
additional supply to the adjacent coach in case of
Supply from the healthy coach may be extended to
him/dark coach by connecting wire(1.5x2 meter) for supply
to the positive and negative terminals of the EFT.