• Core product for IIBA®—serves as basis for all IIBA related services
including certification and competency model.
• Globally recognized standard for business analysis:
• Development began in 2004
• First Major Release was v1.6 in 2006
• Updated to v2 in 2009
• Provides a framework for structuring business analysis activities.
• Collective wisdom of many Business Analysis professionals, from all
around the world.
• Every IIBA members gets a free of charge copy for his own use.
Three pillars of BABoK
Framework for business analysis
• BABoK provides a framework for structuring business analysis
• Frameworks are by definition a little loose. They can be
experienced as vague.
• Frameworks exist to provide structure and direction on a
preferred way to do something without being too detailed or rigid.
BABoK provides guidelines, it
is not a process description
How can BABoK be applied? (1)
BABoK and its Business Analysis Core
Concept Model help developing a
common language for people from
different corners of the organisation
who are involved in Business Analysis
Speaking one common language can
help resolving conflicts that mainly
occur due to misunderstanding and
breakdown of communication.
By participation and collaboration
during common language development
individuals gain shared understanding
of Business Analysis tasks and how
they shall be executed in a given
Shared understanding is about knowing
the rules how to play the BA game.
How can BABoK be applied? (2)
BABoK can be used to
develop a Business
Analysis process, if an
organisation does not have
If an organisation has
already a Business Analysis
process, BABoK can be
used as a reference model
to improve it.
The inputs and outputs of
Business Analysis tasks
from BABoK can be used to
improve the current
artefacts developed or used
by the Business Analysis
BABoK vs BCS International Diploma in BA
Diploma in BA
what might be
considered as BA
tasks, and what are
how BA tasks shall
be executed in
how to apply
benefits of both
WHAT to DO HOW to DO
Shaping the Global Direction
of Business Analysis
Experience the new BABOK® Guide v3