2. What is a blog?
blog/blôg/Noun: A Web site on which an
individual or group of users record
opinions, information, etc. on a regular basis.
3. Why Blog?
•Low cost or free
•Easy to update
•Make connections and network
•Develop a relationship with your readers
–Readers who come to the ACHLS site from the blog spend more
time there and visit more pages than users who find us thru search.
•Become a thought leader
•Great SEO value (we’ll get to that later)
•Bring more people to your website – websites with blogs get
55% more traffic
•Credibility – people trust sources where they find the most
4. Howto Access Your Blog
• Logging in:
8. Blog Tool Bar
•The tool bar works just like a Word •If you prefer you can write your blog
toolbar – allowing you to posts in another editing program like
bold, center, spell check, underline etc. word and then cut and paste it into your
blog, but in order to preserve your
•Unless you know HTML- make sure you formatting
are using the “Visual” panel. •click on the appropriate icon – t for
text file, w for word file
•If you are using the visual panel, as you •copy your text into the panel
type the input box will show you exactly provided
what your blog will look like when it is
published (almost!) •If you do not see the T and W options in
your toolbar, click on the “show/hide
kitchen sink” icon on the top right hand
side of the top row
10. What Does Your Blog Look Like?
Note the opportunity for
readers to subscribe to your
blog via RSS or email –
every ACHLS student blog
has its own RSS feed.
Readers can share your post
to Facebook, Twitter, Linked
and more, and can print or
email it directly from the
• An Rss feed lets you syndicate content
• …often dubbed Really Simple
Syndication) RSS is a family of web feed
formats used to publish frequently
updated works—such as blog
entries, news headlines, audio, and
video—in a standardized format. An
RSS document (which is called a
"feed", "web feed", or "channel")
includes full or summarized text, plus
metadata such as publishing dates and
15. Adding Links
• Why add links?
– a great way to add value to your reader
– A great way to build better SEO (get your blog found by
– At it’s essence the internet is made up of linked data
• When do you add a link?
– When you are referring to another source of information
like an article or another blog
– To provide context
– To further illustrate your point or story
– To link back to a previous post that you wrote
16. How To Add A Link
1. Highlight the text you want to link
2. Click on the icon that looks like a chain link
17. How To Add A Link Cont.
1. Fill in the url
2. Give the link a title, the
words you are linking is
3. Check “open link in a
1. To link to your own
blog post use the
search box or choose
from the list provided.
19. Add Images
Why use images?
• Makesyour content more visually appealing to
• Breaks up blocks of text
• Blog posts that include pictures typically see
more traffic and more engagement than blog
posts that are pure text
20. Where Do I find images
• Images should be either owned by you, Creative
Commons Images or images in the Public Domain
“Creative Commons licenses provide a flexible range of
protections and freedoms for authors, artists, and
educators.” – CreativeCommons.org
• Twogreat places to find Creative Commons
pictures and public domain images
26. Add Image Information And Insert It
Into Your Blog
1. Give the Picture an appropriate title
2. Fill in the alternate text (this describes
3. Add the authors name and source in the
caption (you can add other appropriate
text here as well
4. Fill in the description if you like (similar
to alt text)
5. Link to the images source
6. Choose where you want your image to
7. Choose the size you want
8. Click Insert
30. How Do I Increase My SEO?
• What is SEO?
– SEO stands for search engine optimization. It is a
way to organically increase the traffic to your site
by speaking to search engines in the language that
they understand (meta, tag, category, title tag)
31. Basic Important SEO elements
• Categories and Tags help your blog get found
by readers and search engines alike.
– Categories are broader than tags. A category is a
general topic ie. George Washington
– Tags are terms that are specific to a particular post
ie. portraits, Gilbert Stuart,
35. One Last SEO Tip
• Change the permalink
– Every blog post has its own personal address or url. In
blogging this is called a permalink. It will pre-populate
with the title of your post. By editing the permalink
using slightly different language than the post’s title
you are giving yourself one more opportunity to tell
search engines about the content of your post.
36. SEO Review
• Assign a category to every blog post
• Add tags to every blog post
• Create a custom title tag
• Write a meta description
• Insert meta-tags
• Edit your permalink
37. Best Practices
• Blog often – people who blog 20 or more
times a month see the most traffic
• Blog posts should be at least 300 words.
• Concentrate on providing value to your reader
• Use links and images
• Be authentic.
• Be controversial (authentically)
38. What should I blog about
•Have a differing opinion with someone in class?
Blog about it?
•Loved a book? Blog about it!
•Did something fun over the weekend? Blog
•Political issue that is really getting your goat?
Blog about it!
39. What happens to my blog when I
•Easily export all of your posts to your new blog
•Forward your personal feed address, so you
don’t lose any subscribers
Very simpleTalk about what a blog isTalk about why blogging is a great thingShow you how to publish a basic blog postShow you how to share your blogShow you how to add images and linksTalk about how to get your blog noticed by search enginesWhat you should talk aboutWhat happens to your blog when you leave ACHLS