Today’s Mental Journey:
• Why search & social matter, and are important for health care
• A little search engine history.
• Discuss how search engines and search activity have significantly
changed over the years.
• Focus on where search and social is now, and how that impacts how
consumers are finding your information online & via their mobile
Key takeaway: Know your audience
2 | 7.12.11
Search Engines - 1994
• Built on a thesis sharing system.
• Keywords and labeling mattered.
• Search engines needed links to find
and crawl your site.
• You needed in-bound links to get the
few people online to find your site.
7 | 7.12.11
Search Engines – 1996-2007
• Introduction of PageRank, some links
matter more than others.
• Introduce verticals:
- Google News (2002)
- Book search (2004)
- Scholar (2004)
- Blog search (2005)
- Google base (2005)
- Google video (2006)
• Combine the verticals together with
Universal search (2007).
8 | 7.12.11
Being Real & Relevant Online
• Build traffic to your website or social profile by creating quality
content that speaks to your target audience (by using their words),
and building links that are natural.
• Panda Update
• Removed low quality content from the search engine. Based on
algorithmic learning from human raters.
• Penguin Update
• Removed sites with links pointing to them from low value sites, or
from sketchy domains. Any links that looked “weird.”
18 | 7.12.11
Human Intelligence and Review
There are real life people that review and evaluate search results!
A sampling of the questions that they are paid to answer:
1. Does the page provide substantial value when compared to
other pages in search results?
2. For a health related query, would you trust information from this site?
3. Is this the sort of page you’d want to bookmark, share with a friend,
4. Would users complain when they see pages from this site?
19 | 7.12.11
What is it?
Enhanced code in the html that creates richer snippets in search.
Supported by all search engines.
Increases rank and click through.
25 | 7.12.11
Schema Updates – Health and Medical
The proposed new schema markup focused on “surfacing the existence
of and relationships between entities described in content”:
To learn more: www.schema.org
26 | 7.12.11
Mobile App vs Mobile Landing Page
• 4.5 listings in search
• Top rankings driven by:
- Daily usage
- Overall downloads
• Users have to download
app to see information.
• Only 5% of users keep an
app after the first month.
28 | 7.12.11
Two Parting Thoughts….
1. Know your Customer
• Use their language.
• Have them test your message.
• Create search personas and measure against assumptions.
• Provide online information they want to share.
2. Be Mobile
• Do keyword research to find your mobile customer.
• Mobilize your online properties.
31 | 7.12.11
• Ketchum’s Digital Living Index: http://www.digitallivingpr.com/
• From Health.Ketchum.com:
- FDA’s New Social media Guidelines - How do I handle unsolicited
inquires for off-label use?
- Is Your Web Domain in Order for Responding to Unsolicited
32 | 7.12.11
Need mobile health search data Based on a comscore study in 2011, 18.5 million US mobile users looked for health information via their mobile device. At 50.4% - US mobile smart phone users (March 2012) http://blog.nielsen.com/nielsenwire/online_mobile/who-owns-smartphones-in-the-us/
Katherine – impact of adding Facebook Like button
And voice search data….
“ for instance” example here - low sodium diet Pulls from Twitter, Foursquare, Quora, LinkedIn, Google Plus and Blogger
Talk about voice search
View the rest of the public questions can be found here: http://googlewebmastercentral.blogspot.com/2011/05/more-guidance-on-building-high-quality.html
Google will dive into the relationship between those words, how they work together, and attempt to understand what those words mean. Google will understand that “their” and “they’re” has two different meanings and when “New” and “York” are placed together, it changes the meaning.
Need data here on mobile usage
Data here from health care use of mobile apps, mobile health searches,