How the US came from not
so Awesomeness to
By Maged and Dan
• What is the system of government
that balances power between state
and central government?
• What is a framework or plan for a
• What is the name of the act that
established the federal court
• A Constitution
• The Judiciary Act
Geography in the 1790’s
• What environmental challenges
did the U.S. face in it’s
• What forces kept the U.S. from
• The Appalachian Mountains
• The British in British Canada, the
Spanish in New Spain, and the
Native Americas still in the Area
(who were being helped by the
Life in the 1790’s
• What families could have
paintings done of themselves?
• How did people communicate
with people far away and about
how much time did this take?
• Wealthy families.
• International messages got sent by
ship and national messages got sent
by horse. This took 3 months by sea.
A horse message from New York to
Boston would take 2 days minimum.
Important People who
did Important Things
• Why was the first president of the
United States liked so much by the
people during his term?
• Who was the founder of the
Federalist party that believed in
loose interpretation of the
• Who was the founder of the
Democratic-Republican party that
believed in a STRICT interpretation
of the Constitution?
• George Washington was a famous military
general in the revolutionary war, so the
people thought he would be a good leader.
• Alexander Hamilton
• Thomas Jefferson
• What was the main international
cause of this crisis?
• What was the compromise
between the north and the
south about paying the debt?
• The main international cause of the crises
was the money owed to Britain and France
during the Revolutionary war.
• The compromise made to pay off the debt
between the north and the south was that
the rich south would pay the north’s debt,
IF the U.S.’s capitol was moved more south
to Virginia, thus creating Washington D.C.
Interpretations of the
• What two cabinet members had
opposing views about
interpreting the constitution?
• What was the result of this
• Alexander Hamilton and Thomas Jefferson
disagreed about interpreting the Constitution, they
disagreed because Hamilton wanted to interpret it
loosely so the government can do more things, and
Jefferson wanted to interpret it strictly and limit
government intervention with the people.
• The result was the creation of the government
heavy Federalist party and representatives of the
people, the Democratic-Republican party.
• What was the concept of
making a national bank?
• Which cabinet member
originated the idea of making a
• The concept of creating a national bank
was to make a place where all debts were
paid, taxes were stored, and so that the
states all shared one place to solve
• Alexander Hamilton was the one who
thought of the idea of a National bank,
which Jefferson naturally opposed.
• What nation was having some
governmental issues in the
• What nations began to fight
each other in the 1790’s that
threw the U.S. into a moral
dilemma and why?
• France had just overthrown their monarchy and were
having a violent democratic revolution and for a long
time, were in complete anarchy.
• France, after establishing a new government, declared
war on Britain and Spain, which in turn made their allies
declare war on France, this made the U.S. fall into a
dilemma because both the French and British had
something they needed, the French were their allies,
which a new nation needed, and the British were the
heart of the American economy, and declaring war on
them would make them close their ports.
• Who wrote and announced the
Neutrality Proclamation and
• George Washington wrote the
proclamation, he also announced it.
He did it because the U.S. couldn’t
afford another war, and they also
couldn’t afford loosing their alliance
with France or their trade with
Slavery during George
• What was George Washington's
position on slavery? Why did
some people criticize him for it?
• What region of America had the
most slaves? Which state had
the most out of this region and
the whole country?
• He refused to talk, mention, or even act
like it exists for his whole presidency.
People criticized him for this because he
fought for freedom, but never freed his own
• The South had more slaves, and Virginia
specifically had the most, in the region and
in the country.
• What did George Washington
warn the American people
about in the address, and what
advice did he give?
• He warned about the dangers of the
political parties, and he gave advice
to be on good terms with foreign
nations, keep good commercial/trade
connections, but not go into foreign
political affairs (such as wars.)