• in Slovakia, Christmas celebrations begin
• Slovaks also celebrate St. Nicholas' day on the 6th
• in Slovakia he is known as sv. Mikuláš
• he comes in the evening of the 5th December
and gives presents to good children
• children place their shoes near the window so sv.
Mikuláš can endow them with sweets and fruit
• During advent there are many things to do or
buy to make slovak christmas
include cleaning the house, baking,
shopping and buying the Christmas Tree
• in Slovakia Happy/Merry Christmas is 'Veselé
• Slovak Christmas Trees are decorated with
coloured lights, fruits, hand-made decorations
made of wood...
In the morning children decorate the christmas
tree with dad while mom cooks cabbage soup and
Children watch christmas film on TV and adults
listen to Christmas carols.
In the evening family go to the church to the
Christmas gifts are brought to children by Jesus. Family
gifts are put under the Christmas Tree. A common
tradition is that the children have to leave the room when
the presents are being brought by Jesus. The children then
run to the Christmas Tree to try and see the Jesus but they
always narrowly miss him! Then the present are opened.
Christmas carols are sung or played, often Silent Night,
then the supper is served.
• Christmas markets are in the biggest cities
• For example Bratislava, Nitra, Banská
• On Christmas holidays people send postcard to
friends and family