A talk on building a tech community that I gave at Scale 17x in LA. I covered the meetup and tech conference scene in Austin, Cloud Austin, Devopsdays Austin, and some best practices for meetups orgs and attendees
•In general, I like building stuff with friends.
• Maintainer for Gauntlt- Open source security scanner.
•Love Teaching and building community.
• Run Devopsdays Austin, Container Days, Cloud Austin.
• Chair All Day Devops Cloud Native track.
• LinkedIn Learning Author for Kubernetes courses.
• Blog, Tutorials and solutions
• Mostly cloudnative “stuff”. Send me a note @iteration1 if you really
want us to research something for you or http://bit.ly/iheartcloud
“Small or large social unit (a group
of living things) that has something
in common, such as norms,
religion, values, or identity.”
Austin Tech Community
• Various regular conferences in town (Serverless
Days, Longhorn PHP, Devopsdays, Data day,
LASCON, Keep Austin Agile, BSides Austin,
SXSW, Innotech Austin).
• Many many many monthly meetups
(AustinDevops/Cloud Austin for cloud and
Cloud Austin Today
• Coming up on ~ 10 years
• Over 2600 folks
• Monthly meetup
• Average ~75 folks attending
• ~2 talks per meetup
• “Silicon Hills”
• Over 138,000 tech-related jobs in the
Austin metropolitan region.
• $31 billion into the area’s overall economy,
about 35 percent of the total.
• New announcements: Apple expansion
campus, Army Futures Command.
Things were different 15
15 years ago: Tech Employers in ATX
10 years ago: User Groups
• Language specific groups for developers…
• Java (Dating back to early 2000’s)
• .NET, PHP
• OWASP Chapter (Since 2006)
• User groups inside companies..
• Java Technical Exchange @National Instruments
• Google Group + Eventbrite
• Google Group + Eventbrite + Meetup
• Google Group + Meetup
• Random Meetups->Monthly meetups (3rd Tuesday)
• Festive end of the year meetup “12 Clouds of Christmas”
• Group growth to 2600 folks
• 3rd Tuesday of the month
• Always @Rackspace!
• Food/Drink sponsorships whenever we can
• Org Team of 8
• Google group with all orgs.
• Emails go to the group.
• Org Slack for communication.
• Google form for speaker/sponsor pitches
• Zapier integration with slack