The impact of new and digital media on socail networking sites:

4,552 views

Published on

1 Comment
3 Likes
Statistics
Notes
No Downloads
Views
Total views
4,552
On SlideShare
0
From Embeds
0
Number of Embeds
97
Actions
Shares
0
Downloads
163
Comments
1
Likes
3
Embeds 0
No embeds

No notes for slide

The impact of new and digital media on socail networking sites:

  1. 1. The Impact of New & Digital Media on Social Networking Site<br />
  2. 2. Facebook<br />
  3. 3. Target Audience: Facebook:<br />Current users: 13-50 (85% students and teenagers) <br />Originally users: 18-24 (university students) <br />-The age restriction has become 13+ with parental<br />permission.<br />
  4. 4. Link: Soicalbeakers.com<br />
  5. 5. Link: Socialbakers.com<br />
  6. 6. Twitter<br />
  7. 7. Target audience: Twitter:<br />Current users: Mostly celebrities and fans<br />Originally users: Ordinary people<br />-People now use twitter to follow celebrities and see<br />what is new with them rather than keep up with<br />friends.<br />
  8. 8. MySpace<br />
  9. 9. Target Audience: Myspace:<br />Current Users: Mostly Music fans, new artists to promote themselves.<br />Original users: teenagers, socializing with friends<br />Myspace was the first mainstream social networking site<br />Creation of Hi5 and Bebo: MySpace began to lose members.<br />MySpace lost popularly as Facebook took over. <br />Presently, MySpace is mainly used by musicians and artists, but is considered unpopular among the teenage audience <br />
  10. 10. Social Networking Demographics<br />Age distribution of social networking members<br />Education distribution of social networking members<br />55% of members are female and 45% are male<br />47% of members are currently studying at high school or college and the remaining 53% have finished studying.<br />84% of members are between <br />the ages of 14 and 26,<br />Link: http://www.marketinghub.info/social-networking-demographics/<br />
  11. 11. Concerns, political and social implications! <br />Privacy concerns <br />Dumbing down <br />Traditional<br />try<br /> Child pornography<br />Identity fraud <br />Criminal offence <br />
  12. 12. Privacy Concerns Grow Over Social Networking Sites<br />http://www.keyt.com/news/local/Privacy-concerns-grow-over-social-networking-sites-114244474.html : Link: privacy concerns <br />Will Privacy Concerns Slow Growth in Social Network Usage? Link: http://www.emarketer.com/blog/index.php/social-network-user-estimates/<br />
  13. 13. Positive political and social implicationson society: <br />Educational Benefits Of Social Networking Sites Uncovered: <br />link:http://www.sciencedaily.com/releases/2008/06/080620133907.htm<br />A Social Society: The Positive Effects of Communicating through Social Networking Sites: Link:http://networkconference.netstudies.org/2010/04/a-social-society-the-positive-effects-of-communicating-through-social-networking-sites/<br />
  14. 14. theoretical perspectives: <br />Globalisation<br />Representation <br />Pluralistic model<br />
  15. 15. MORAL PANIC over social networking sites: this is normal? <br />A moral panic is the intensity of feeling expressed in a population about an issue that appears to threaten the social order.<br />The Moral Panic over Social-Networking Sites: <br />Link:http://www.technologyreview.com/printer_friendly_article.aspx?id=17266<br />
  16. 16. Globalisation:<br />Globalisation of social networking sites - e.g different languages, used worldwide by millions. Global success.<br />Quote: 'The production of too many useful things results in too many useless people.'-meaning to much exposures to new and digital media can be damaging.<br />
  17. 17. Representation:<br />Representation of certain groups as a result of changes e.g different age groups (users), ethnic backgrounds, different cultures and religions mixing and socialising through the use of social networking.<br />Quote: 'consumerism generates hunger for material status, symbols, new material needs.'<br />
  18. 18. Pluralistic model:<br />Pluralistic model - freedom of choice and speech-<br />
  19. 19. Affect of social networking on the audience: <br />New era of connecting with the old and new.<br />High demand <br />Faster broadband and network <br />Instant gossip and news<br />The need to log in<br />Different community compared to reality <br />
  20. 20. Availability:<br />
  21. 21. Further of social networking: <br />Facebook growth will continue to dominate the social networking community. <br />People will become more dependent to use social networking to socialize rather than face to face.<br />The age range will expand, as the social networking sensation will take over every household. <br />

×