Indian Drug Manufacturers' Association (IDMA) OPPI - Organisation of Pharmaceutical Producers of India Bulk Drug Manufacturers Association Association of Pharmaceutical Teachers of India Indian Pharmaceutical Association Confederation of Indian Pharmaceutical Industry (SSI)
Industry analysis pharma
Industry Analysis: Pharma
“The Indian pharmaceutical industry is a success
story providing employment for millions and
ensuring that essential drugs at affordable prices are
available to the vast population of this sub-
1) Overview of Indian pharma.
2) Evolution of Indian Pharma.
3) Major players.
4) Drug Trial.
5) Medical tourism.
6) Moving up to the value chain.
7) Pharmaceutical-association in India.
8) Future scenario.
9) Pharma in news.
Indian Pharmaceutical Evolution
•Indian Patent Act –
•Drug prices capped
•Local companies begin
to make an impact
•Rapid expansion of
Innovation and Research
•New IP law
1970 1980 1990 2000 2010
of organized Indian
• Play an active role in their own health care.
• Gain access to new research treatments before they are widely available.
• Obtain expert medical care at leading health care facilities during the trial.
• Help others by contributing to medical research.
• There may be unpleasant, serious or even life-threatening side effects
to experimental treatment.
• The experimental treatment may not be effective for the participant.
• Cheaper medical and relaxation needs.
• Excellent infrastructure and technology in which is in
par with those in USA, UK and Europe.
• Some treatments which are best in India are:-
Heart Surgery & Heart Care
Health Check Up
Moving up the Value Chain
In IndiaIDMA CIPI-SSI
Indian Pharma Industry – Future
• The Indian pharma industry is still trying to come to
terms with the new patent regime.
• Over the next 5 years, will continue to grow by at least
twice the rate of global growth.
• Retail segment will be the fastest growing segment.
• There will be a significant increase in the clinical trials
and diagnostics outsourcing.
• A significant window of opportunity will be available
Pharma in News
• August 20, 2008: 49 babies die at leading
hospitals under drug trail process.
• Fight between Ranbaxy and Pfizer.(Lipitor)
• H1N1 vaccination available in Indian
Pharmaceutical market. (Nasovac)
• Aurobindo pharma and Astra-Zeneca to jointly
supply solid dosage in emerging market.