What is your nonprofit’s
experience with wellbeing in the
Employees are encouraged to do it
on their own
There are periodic activities for
wellness or wellbeing
Our nonprofit has a
strategy/plan/policy for a
• Nonprofit Professionals
• Understanding Burnout
• Creating A Self-Care Plan
• Nonprofit Organizations
• Examples of bringing self-care into the workplace
Slides, Links, and Handouts:
Burnout is a state of emotional, mental, and physical
exhaustion that occurs when we feel overwhelmed
by too many demands, too few resources, and too
little recovery time.
The Symptoms of Burnout
Loss of appetite
Lack of productivity
And burnout is sneaky!
The 4 Stages of Nonprofit Burnout
We have no downtime
52% of smartphone owners check their phones
a few times an hour or more.
Tip: Organize Mobile Phone To Avoid Addiction
• Notifications from people
• Customized notifications
• Tools on home screen
• Scramble Apps
• Remove or move work apps into folders on 3rd or 4th screens
during non-work hours
Tip: Go On A News Diet
• Consume news for specified time and sources per day
• News meditation – be in the present moment when consuming
• Remove news notifications
• Take a break from Facebook
-Get 7-9 hours of sleep per night.
-Eat more fruits and vegetables every day.
-Get to 10,000 steps per day walking.
-Make a regular date with my partner and/or children – one-
on-one – to give my relationships attention.
-Divest myself of negative influences, moving consciously
away from people who bring me down.
-Stop what I’m doing at least once a day to go outside.
-Clear clutter from my office desk
Work and Money
-Take comp time when I’m attending work-related evening
-Stand up from my desk every 15 minutes to stretch and walk
-Set up a charging station at the front door for all of my/my
family’s digital devices.
-Keep all my digital devices out of my bedroom and off my
Listen and Engage Employees to Shift the Culture
Do people have what they need to do their job?
Do people feel appreciated and respected?
Do people feel connected to one another?
Do people feel like they have opportunities for growth?
Do people feel like they are inspired and working towards a
Laura Putnam – 5 F’s Framework
United Way in South Dakota: Moving Together
• Twice daily all staff
walk or movement
• Started with listening
and engaging with
• Wellness coaching and
experiment 10 years
• Now part of culture
• Fewer absences and sick days
• Lower healthcare costs
• Higher employee work satisfaction and
• Ability to attract top talent when recruiting for
• Higher productivity
• Greater ability to handle stressful situations
• Ability to meet and exceed milestones
• Motivated, resilient workers
• Better brand ambassadors
• Responsive and engaged staff
Return on Investment
• Be open about self-
• Staff meeting to do
create self-care plans
• Accountability buddies
• Make small changes
and offer reward/praise
• Does not have to cost a
lot of money
• How can your
wellbeing instead of
• Self-care is not just about kale smoothies and
massages, it is part of doing the work
• Bringing well being into the workplace is all
about culture change
• A culture of well being requires leadership and
• Quick fixes don’t work
• Benefits include recruiting top talent, retention,
reduced health costs, and more
• Start practicing self-care and start the discussion
in your workplace