Making oodlemore social and fun Moodle Sharing Seminar, UM 7th February 2012 Frankie Kam Graduate Lecturer, Coordinator Stamford College email@example.com http://moodurian.blogspot.com
ContentsI. A bit about MeII. Five Moodle customisations 1. Hiding clutter with Autohide 2. Having fun with the Online Users block 3. Motivating students with Multistamps 4. Post content and comment with the Wall
A bit about me• Married with one wife and two children• Working in Stamford College since 1996• Teaching IT and programming, Ms Office By day, a Coordinator for the Computing School… ….a Moodle ‘code developer’ by night• Wrote Msc. Paper “How Moodle supports Self- Directed-Learning” (OUM, 2011)• I love to share code with others on my blog
Jom Facebook• Started the Facebook group “Moodle Malaysia Boleh” in May 2011 (a grand total of 34 members currently)
A bit about meBlogger on Moodurian.blogspot.com since 2011.So far, 134 posts, 55 Moodle hacks.
Making Moodle More Social and FunSocial (adjective) relating to activities in which you meet and spend time with other peopleFun (adjective) Amusing, entertaining, or enjoyable: "it was a fun evening".
1. Autohide for Moodle 2.x themes – reducing clutter
4. The Wall Joomla’s (Jomsocial) got a Wall… WHAT ABOUT MOODLE?
4. The Wall Benefits of a Wall for Moodle 1. Instant posting of information 2. Allows context feedback 3. Mimics Facebook 4. Encourages sharing 5. Encourages collaboration 6. Fun to use (user icons) 7. Multifunctional 8. Complements the Forum activity
4. The Wall Origin = Srinivas Tamada’s Facebook-like Wall Version 3.0 http://www.9lessons.info/2011/05/facebook-wall-script-with-php-and.html
4. The Wall Can be embeded inside a course page
4. The Wall Allows Voice-To-Text Input (microphone)
4. The Wall Allows various Web 2.0 embedded content Youtube Scribd Vimeo Image URLS, etc.
Future work. Social-Related Moodle Stuff1. Look into Open Badges integration2. Look into Joomdle
SUMMARYELEMENT WHAT IT DOES BENEFITAutohide Gives a cleaner interface Removes clutter; for Course Administrators Course administration becomes less of a chore.Online User Allows users to express Better studentBlock themselves and be engagement invisible on demand. Better acceptability from new usersMultistamps Allows the Teacher to Motivation factor award various stamps Virtual Rewards for studentsWall All users can posts and Fun to use comments ala Facebook Promotes sharing of information Versatile usage
Thank you Frankie Kam Graduate Lecturer Stamford College PJ firstname.lastname@example.org://moodurian.blogspot.com