OPTICAL FIBER COMMUNICATION
Where Beauty of Light and Semiconductor Devices mixed
together to transformed the History of Communication
Unit 4 (OFC)-Part-2
Sorry, I opened the lock without prior permission taken from the
original owner. Some images used in this presentation contents are
copied from Book’s Fiber Optics & Optoelectronics By R.P. Khare and
some websites without permission.
Only Original Owner has full rights reserved for copied images.
This PPT is only for fair academic use.
• Extrinsic Losses
– Loss Due to Fresnel Reflections
– Fiber to Fiber Misalignment Losses
– Losses Due to other Factors
• Intrinsic Losses (Not Compatible)
– The Core Diameter
– NA (The Relative index Difference)
– The Refractive Index Profile
Loss General Expression
L (Due to factors) =-10Log (Base 10) η
Where η is Coupling Efficiency
• Two compatible multimode SI fiber are jointed
with lateral offset of 10% of the core radius.
The RI of the core of each fiber 1.5. Calculate
the insertion loss at the joint when-
– There is small air gap.
– An index matching fluid is inserted between the