The 9 Elements of Digital Citizenship By Matariki, Alyssa and Ineen
Contents Digital citizenship can be deﬁned as the norms of appropriate, responsible behavior with regard to technology use. 1. Digital Access: full electronic participation in society 2. Digital Commerce: electronic buying and selling of goods 3. Digital Communication: electronic exchange of information. 4. Digital Literacy: process of teaching and learning about technology and the use of technology. 5. Digital Etiquette: electronic standards of conduct or procedure 6. Digital Law: electronic responsibility for actions and deeds 7. Digital Rights & Responsibilities: those freedoms extended to everyone in a digital world 8. Digital Health & Wellness: physical and psychological well-being in a digital technology world. 9. Digital Security (self-protection): electronic precautions to guarantee safety
1 Digital Access We need to be aware that all people in thesociety of technology have to be able to access and use technology in a respectful manner to create the foundation for digital citizenship. People being excluded will not increase the growth of users in the system.
2. Digital Commerce Technology users need to understand that a large amount of market is being done electronically. Usersneed to learn about how to be eﬀective consumers in a new digital system.
3. Digital CommunicationOne of the signiﬁcant changes within the digital revolution is a person’s ability to communicatewith other people. It has been getting easier andeasier to communicate with people as things like this were limited in the 1900s. These things include emailing, texting, calling, skyping, Facebook, Twitter and many more.Unfortunately, many users have not been taught how to make appropriate decisions when faced with so many diﬀerent digital communication options.
4. Digital Literacy In other words, learners must be taught to learn anything, anytime, anywhere. Digital Citizenship involves educating people in a new way— these individuals need a high degree ofinformation and literacy skills. While schools have made great progress in the area of technology in muchremains to be done. A renewed focus must be made on what technologies must be taught as well as how itshould be used. New technologies are ﬁnding their way into the work place that are not being used in schools (e.g., videoconferencing, online sharing spaces such as wikis and cloud day systems)
5. Digital Etiquette We recognize inappropriate behavior when we see it,but before people use technology they do not learn digital behavior. Many people feel uncomfortable talking to others about their digital behavior.
6. Digital Law Laws in the real world are just as much the same as the digital law and if you think that when you goonline on sites like Trade Me , Skype, Facebook and twitter that you dont have to obey the digital lawthen your wrong for example if you buy some thing from Trade Me as you say buy you as a costumermust pay the money for the product and same withthe seller after you send them the money they must deliver or handover the merchandise.
7. Digital Rights and Responsibilities •Everyone has rights in the real world and in the digitalworld so people should have their say especially when their black-mailing or threatening you. We also have responsibilities e.g you should never tell anyone your passwords because if you tell someone and they tell someone else its actual your responsibility to handle the matter.
8. Digital Health and Wellness •It is healthy for people that are on their technology to have a perfectly planned balance in the real world and virtually. Lots of people today get internet addiction because they dont have a balance. It is very important to have a balancebecause you could lose contact with the real world. You may have friends virtually but youll never have them in real life.
9. Digital Security •In any society there a groups or individuals that will steal, cause harm or disturb others. The same is in the digitalworld. That is why we have ﬁre alarms and locks on all our doors. There are similar things on the web that you must have on your computer to keep you safe, there are virus protections and a lot more so you need to keep yourself safe while you are on the Internet.