FACULTY OF MANAGEMENT
• CAD means computer aided design
• It is any design activity that involves the
effective use of a computer to create, modify,
analyze, or document an engineering design.
• It creates huge amounts of additional data that
is often stored and managed in a product data
• The output of the CAD system is stored in
product data management.
• Computer aided design is a computer technology
that designs a product and documents the
designs process .
• It is also called as COMPUTER AIDED DESIGN AND
• It facilitates the manufacturing process.
GEOMETRIC MODELING IN
• Geometric modeling is a special use of CAD
data to create a mathematical description of
• The CAD accessing the computer memory that
can display the resultant model as an image.
• Geometric modeling are of two, they are
TWO DIMENSIONAL MODEL:
It is dating from the late 1960’s and early
1970, when the first CAD system began to appear.
This is primarily used for design problems,
such as flat objects and layouts of buildings.
THREE DIMENSIONAL MODEL:
These are capable of modeling an object in 3D
according to user instructions, which has been
found useful for conceptualization of objects.
Features of cad:
• It increases productivity of the design.
• It improves the quality of design.
• It improves communication through
• CAM means Computer aided manufacturing.
• It is the effective use of computer technology
in manufacturing planning and control.
• It is the application of computer technology to
the areas of manufacturing planning and
• It is an application technology that uses
computer software and machinery to facilitate
and automate manufacturing process.
• It reduces waste and energy for enhanced
manufacturing and production efficiency.
• CAM FOR MANUFACTURING PLANNING:
1. Production and inventory planning
2. Cost estimating
• CAM FOR MANUFACTURING CONTROL:
1. Process monitoring and control
2. Quality control
3. Inventory control
• The integration of CAD functions with CAM
applications gives us the CAD/CAM.
• It is concerned with engineering functions in
both design and manufacturing, it denotes an
integration of design and manufacturing
activities by means of computer systems.
• It creates a direct link between product design
and product manufacture.