Android Application Tutorial
How to change the icon
All Copy Rights Saved to the 7th Students’ Conference on Communication and Information Based in the Faculty of Computers
and Information Cairo University – Egypt 2011/2012 www.scci-cu.com
Tutorial Code: APS-04-2012
Instructed on: 24-Feb-2012 | Tutorial: #04
By : Yasmine Sherif Mahmoud
• Create a new project as we learned before.
• Don’t change anything in the code.
• Notice where will your project be saved. (The
• Follow the following steps :
Expand the res file to see the three drawable files where you are going to
save any pictures.
hd represents high definition pictures.
ld represents low definition pictures.
md represents medium definition pictures.
This is my new project. Expand it.
• My default location where my workspace
exists is the (C:) drive.
• You can have a different location but if you
have the same location go to (C:).
Choose any of the three files.
I’ll choose the drawable-hdpi.
• If you want to get the best resolution and a
clean image you can specify the size of your
• In Low definition use a 40x40 cm picture.
• In Medium definition use a 100x100 cm
• In High definition use a 150x150 cm picture.
• In this tutorial I’m not going to specify the size
of the picture. It will be resized automatically.
This is the original icon which I want to change.
• Now you can save any picture here in this file
or you can open any program to draw your
• The picture is preferred to be a .PNG or .GIF or
• I’m going to open the Paint program to draw a
simple icon and save it in this file.
• You may not find your application on the first
time you run your emulator but it is ok you
can try to:
1- Close the emulator and run it again.
*if nothing changed:
2- Open the main.xml file and clean the project
then re-run the emulator again.