Presentació sobre el programa Compartim a l'European Conference on Prison Education (Budapest, febrer 2010)
Compartim Project: Knowledge
Management Communities of Practice
for prisons workers in the
Autonomous Government of Catalonia
Jesús Martínez Marín
Budapest, 23th February 2010
WHO WE ARE?
• A center of studies and training linked to the Department of
Justice of the Autonomic Government.
• 12.000 students per year.
• 14.000 hours of training.
We work for the Department of Justice (courts and
penitentiary services), with 15.000 employees.
• For the area of penitentiary services, we take care of the
initial training and the continuous training.
• The Center (CEJFE) has a staff of 50 workers and an annual
budget of 6 million Euros.
What have we made in knowledge management?
• In the last 4 years (2006-2009) we have
developed a communities of practice program.
• For us a community of practice is a group of
professionals who work for voluntary
decision in a project that pretends to
elaborate new knowledge.
• This new knowledge has to be useful for the
activities of the Department.
Why we do this program?
• Fashion....? Social web.
• Some previous experiences of members
of our organization.
• 2006: a good budgetary moment.
• Clear consciousness of the limitations
/advantages of the traditional systems
Dynamics of Different Network Types
Community of Practice Project Teams Informal networks
Purpose Learning Accomplish specific Communication flows
Boundary Knowledge domain Assigned project Extent of relationships
Connections Common application Commitment to goal Interpersonal
of a skill acquaintances
Membership Semi-permanent Constant for a fixed Links made based on
period needs of the individual
Time scale As long as it adds Fixed ends when Long – term, no pre-
value to the business project deliverables engineered end
and its members have been
Examples of communities of practice
Psychologists 105 Clinic interviews guide
Criminologist Jurist 80 Especial measures
Social Educators 140 Intercultural management guide
Map of communities of practice 2009
Communities of practice 18 communities
3 working groups
e-moderator Working groups + 300 active
Live meetings Online work participants
Propósitos y objetivos
• Pautas de trabajo
Métricas e indicadores
Learning by working in the Department of Justice
2009, 2010 and beyond....
• Reinforce learning orientation.
• Formal and informal learning integration.
• Reinforce self-learning: CoPs + PLEs + digital
• Reinforce peer to peer processes: CoPs + PLEs
+ collaboration competences.
• PLEs and individual – organizational e-portfolios.
612 workers rehabilitation programs of
prison participated in the program during
289 employees of the juvenile justice
has also participated very actively in the
area of knowledge management.
A total of 901 workers have participated
in such groups with very promising
The book of Compartim program
El treball col·laboratiu a l’Administració.
Aportacions del programa Compartim.
The collaborative work in government.
Contributions Compartim program