Outreach Program Overview
CertHE Skills for the Workplace
SfWP Outreach Tutors
Glenn Behenna - Program Director
What does the program offer?
• University Certificate in Higher Education in Skills for
• ILM Certificate in Leadership Management.
• Flexible delivery locally, plus a Summer Residential
weekend, paid for by the University.
• Attendance on two weekend days per month plus
weekly evening classes and regular online Skype
tutorials over a ten month period.
• New workplace skills
• Earn more – on average of £236/week over a working life up to 60
compared with someone with “A” levels or an “L3 NVQ”
• Internationally recognised professional & academic qualifications
• Certificate in Higher Education
• Opportunity to gain a BA Honours degree in Leadership and
• Cap & Gown graduation
• Our program has made a real difference to the lives of many
of our learners.
• You could go on to study for a full degree (BA (Hons)
Leadership and Management Skills for the Workplace) after
completing this course.
What will I learn?
You will learn a wide range of skills considered by
employers to be critical workplace skills:
Academic & Employability Skills
Digital Skills and Research Methods
Professional Career Development
Team Working and Communication
Problem Solving & Decision Making
Managing Enterprise in the 21st Century
How will I learn?
• You will learn through participating in regular class
based sessions in a small group setting.
• We use a discussion based approach to your
learning, where your experiences are discussed in
the context of the course.
• We will also support you through Skype and you will
find that you will support one another.
• To attend regularly and participate in the class
based learning discussions.
• To work with your tutors and your class
members at each session.
• To manage your time – which can be the
biggest challenge for most people who come
on the course
• NO EXAMS
• 6 x 20 credit modules
• Each 20 credit module will have two forms of
• Assessment comprises a mix of written work based
assignments; including research reports, reflective
reviews and a group business plan.
• We have a Frequently Asked Questions hand-
out and a detailed description of the financial
support that you may be entitled to, as well as
the process involved:
• We also have a dedicated University Student
Finance Officer (Delyth Lewis) who can assist
you with all related matters.
Institute of Leadership &
• Largest Management Examining &
Professional Body in Europe
• Internationally recognised awards
ILM Student Handbook contains:
• Appeals procedures
• Equal Opportunities
External Verifier Role
• Conduct holistic monitoring of the Centre
• Monitor the standards of specific programmes &
• Support & advise Centres
• Act as a channel for information between the
Centre & ILM
ILM – vital statistics
ILM accounts for 48% of all funded management and leadership courses
– twice as many as the closest competitor
Works in 34 countries worldwide
Currently offers 101 qualifications
More than 2,300 approved centres / recognised providers worldwide
More than 30,000 studying and professional members
Registers more than 90,000 learners annually
ILM Membership for individuals
All learners are entitled to 6 months of free studying membership:
– Study support
– Career guidance
– Specialist management information and news
– Supports Employees’ learning for 6 months
Activate and access online www.i-l-m.com at anytime
Professional Membership of ILM
• Studying Member
• Associate Member (AMInstLM)
• Member (MInstLM)
• Fellow (FInstLM)
• Developing Workplace Critical
• Knowledge management
• Managing Projects in the
• Developing Relationships and
• Understanding and Engaging in
the Customer Experience
• Workplace Culture and its
impact on Organisational
• Emergent Leadership Skills for
• Developing Innovation and
Creativity for Business Advantage
• Leading and Implementing
• Strategic Management for SMEs
• Coaching & Mentoring Skills for
• Developing Emotional Intelligence
Skills for the Workplace
Buying a Laptop for University
You will need to invest in a laptop for your studies if
you don’t already have one.
You wont be able to do your assignments on your
phone - although it is possible with a tablet -
especially if you have a detachable keyboard for it.
This guide assumes you don't have any devices
other than your phone and advises about laptops
or MacBooks as they are the easiest to use when
writing/typing for a long time.