WWW: You’ve identified parts
of Taunton that fit the core
and frame model.
EBI: You needed to explain
why each image represents
the model. For example why
are bus stations found in the
frame of the CBD?
Don’t forget to use capitals
for place names.
Could you describe some
other examples of typical land
use in the frame apart from
the bus station?
L1 level 1 mark range
L2 level 2 mark range
L3 level 3 mark range
idea or an important point
^ AnNot answering the question is missing
Sp / SpG Spelling / grammar mistake
P Punctuation error
Text underlined incorrect point
// Start a new sentence / paragraph
? Can’t read / I don’t understand you
Ev Evidence required
Read through your work and add your own
Record your mark and think about how you can
improve your work on your assessment record
Investigating Taunton’s CBD
The image needed a
Make sure that place
names have capital
You needed to explain
in more detail why this
image represents the
This image is not
representative of the
zone you are
These criteria change
with the task
Code-based marking: How it works…
1. Scan through a few examples of work and pick up on the main errors /
areas for improvement.
2. Edit a standard marking code PPT slide.
3. Mark work with symbols and your usual shorthand codes.
1. Return work to students. Get them to decrypt the codes used
2. Show the marking codes. Students write comments on their own work.
3. DIRT time. (Directed Improvement and Reflection time)
4. Students record their grade / level on their own assessment record sheet
along with one main target for improvement.
Saves time / reduces workload
Students UNDERSTAND feedback
Students HAVE to respond to feedback
Allows students time to ACT on feedback before moving
on. (A single question designed to move them on is a
Could you list some other
examples of typical land use
in the frame apart from the
one question to
move student on
I would like to acknowledge the education bloggers Alex
Quigley, Tom Sherrington and Joe Kirby on whose work the
presentation is entirely based.
Noel Jenkins 2013