● Identify the similarities and differences between New
France and the English Colonies.
● How is John Smith different than John Rolfe?
Objective (I Can…)
Explain how salutary neglect and self- government
Describe the causes and results of the French and
● Nov. 5, 1733, John Zenger published his first issue
of the New York Weekly Journal, in which he
criticized the governor.
● His paper continued the attacks for a year.
● November 1734 Zenger is arrested for Libel.
● Zenger was imprisoned but eventually found NOT guilty, due
to the idea of freedom of the press.
The Zenger Trial
● Salutary neglect was used in the 1600-1700s as a
way to decrease the strict trade regulations in the
New England Colonies.
●An unwritten policy to allow the colonies to prosper.
●However, this policy led the colonies to believe that
they no longer needed England for political or
●The Virginia Company, from 1619, were supportive
of the House of Burgesses to make laws for
●Colonists set up a legislature in 1629 called the
General Court and colonists began to elect delegates
to the Court.
●By 1760, all British Colonies had a legislature.
●Offered more power to the people, between 50-75%
of men could vote- a much larger percentage than in
● During the 1600s, France was the dominate power
on the European continent.
● While England was in the middle of its only civil war in its
history. However, by 1700 they were emerging as a
● The French and Indian began in 1754 as French and
British soldiers butted heads over control of the Ohio
● At stake were the lucrative fur trade and access to the
Mississippi River, the lifeline of the frontier to the west.
America’s Place in the Global
●Complete the packet:
●Read and provide a summery in the side box
●Complete 5 questions on the back
●Complete cutouts and popups
French and Indian War