• How does this cartoon A help explain the
• What does this cartoon B represent pertaining to the Cold
War? Explain. What policy issued by President Truman
helped enforce this strategy?
• 1949 China falls to Communists.
• After WWII, Korea was divided
along the 38th parallel.
• North of line was communism
• South of line was democratic
• June 1950 – North Korea with the
help of the Soviet Union invaded
• North Korea wanted to unify the
country under communist rule
• Stalin (leader of Soviets) thought
Americans would not care to
The Korean War (1950-1953)
• South Korean army fled
south as the North came
• S. Korean army was
inefficient and no
• Truman immediately sent
U.S. troops to Korea to
resist the invasion
• Truman Doctrine:
The Korean War (1950-1953)
• United Nations and U.S. troops led by General Douglas
MacArthur pushed the North Koreans to the Chinese
• First time an international peace organization
successfully used military force to halt aggression
• All countries involved were in belief the Domino
Theory could happen if no action was taken.
The Korean War 1950-1953
• Chinese sent 1 million
“volunteers” to help N.
Korea as a response to U.S.
• Forced MacArthur to retreat
to 38th parallel
• Gen. MacArthur wants to
declare war on China.
• President Truman orders,
“NO!” as he feared a World
• Wanted to liberate China
from Communist control and
use atomic weapons
Response to U.S. Invasion.
• Do you agree with Truman and the U.N. or MacArthur’s
strategy on the Korean War? Explain.
Korean War Overview Video
• MacArthur criticized
Truman to a congressman
and was fired
• Because of the public
criticism hit the media
• 1952 Dwight Eisenhower
was elected president
• Pledged to end the war
• Armistice was signed
between the U.S. and
North Korea in 1953
• Agreement provided for a
“demilitarized zone” along
the 38th parallel
• Transfer of prisoners of war
End of the Korean War
• Do you think that Truman was just (right) in firing
MacArthur for violating the Truman Doctrine? Explain.
Truman fires MacArthurClick Link
• Korea was divided exactly like as it had been before the
invasion when the war ended.
• 38th is still today one of the most armed places in the world
• The Korean War was nicknamed “The Forgotten War”,
due to the other events that occurred in the Cold War.
• Many Americans saw zero impact of the war since there
was no change in the borders of North & South Korea.
The “Forgotten” War
• How has the Korean War impacted North and South Korea
Impact of Korean War today (stop
• Soviet Union launched Sputnik satellite into space. It
was the size of a beach ball.
• U.S. did NOT want the Soviet Union to get ahead of
• Congress passed the National Defense Educational
Act which emphasized Math and Science in public
• Created NASA (National Aeronautics and Space
Administration) in 1958
• Began space race between U.S. and