The Holocaust of Europe
Japanese Internment Camps of
• Genocide – effort to murder and entire people
• Jewish people are whom Hitler blamed all of
Germany’s problems on
– Part of Hitler’s philosophy was intense hatred of
• Holocaust refers to his attempted genocide of
the Jews during WWII
• Final Solution – plan of Hitler and other Nazis
leaders to murder all European Jews
• First Jews were shot next to open trenches
they had been forced to dig themselves.
• When this method of extermination proved to
slow the Nazis, large concentration camps were
built across Europe
• Jews sent to these camps in railroad cattle cars.
• Upon arrival, most were killed with poison gas
– Bodies burned in large ovens
• Some spared to work
– Half were starved and worked under inhumane
• About 6 million Jew – 2/3 living in Europe – killed
during the Holocaust
• Another 6 million gypsies, Slavs, political
prisoners, elderly, mentally-disabled and others
also dies in Nazi concentration camps
• Should the President ever be allowed to
change the Constitution during War?
– Why or Why not?
• After watching the video, how would you feel
if this event was going on today?
• 1. What would you advise the President to
• 2. What is your assessment (belief) of how
E.O. 9066 was carried out?
• What is your opinion of the formal apology
and reparation of payments?
Internment Video Clip
• 3. Based on the interviews of those placed in
camps, how do you think they felt about being
• What other options do you think the U.S.
government could have considered instead of
Life in an interment camp
• Write a 1 page letter/journal detailing what
life might have been like in an Interment