The MedRed Ontology for Representing Clinical Data Acquisition Metadata
1. The MedRed Ontology for Representing
Clinical Data Acquisition Metadata
Jean-Paul Calbimonte, Fabien Dubosson, Roger Hilfiker,
Alexandre Cotting, Michael Schumacher
University of Applied Sciences and Arts Western Switzerland (HES-SO Valais-Wallis)
International Semantic Web Conference ISWC
Vienna, October 2017
MedRed: A Platform for Medical
Research Data Acquisition
• Data lifecycle solution for research medical data instruments.
Based on the REDCap platform.
• Design, adapt and implement surveys and questionnaires for
selected pilot projects led by HES-SO Valais Institut Santé.
• Validation and evaluation: effectiveness and usability.
• Formulate a middle and long-term strategy for a research
lifecycle data service facility.
• essentially no cost for academic purposes
• not an open-sourced software.
• active and well-established community of users
• large number of partner institutions.
• none belong to a Swiss University of Applied Sciences.
• need to support for data research in professional health sciences
(e.g. nursing, physiotherapy, ergotherapy, etc.)
• HUG, Geneva
• CHUV, Lausanne
• Swiss THP, Basel
• Cantonal Hospital of Basel Landschaft
• University of Bern, Institut d'éducation médicale
• ARTOG, biomédical engineering research center
• CTU Bern, clinic studies unit
• INSELSPITAL University Hospital
• Cantonal Hospital of Luzern
• Rehabilitation center of Davos
• University Children’s Hospital Basel
• University Hospital of Basel
• Schulthess Clinic, Zurich
• University Hospital, Zurich
• Paperless research data input
• Computer-supported acquisition design
• Mobile-device electronic acquisition
• Distributed data acquisition
• Support for instrument designers and administrators
• Training for acquisition assistants
• Deployment of an inter-institutional service
• Data security and privacy management
MedRed: a study
ex:3MonthFollowUpStudy a medred:Study ;
dcterms:description "General health conditions of a patient study ..." ;
dcterms:identifier "3MonthFollowUpStudy" ;
dcterms:title "3-Month follow up study" ;
MedRed: a question
ex:epic_q48 a medred:Question ;
medred:isItemofSection ex:section3 ;
dcterms:identifier "epic_q48" ;
dcterms:title "14. How often have you had crampy pain in
your abdomen, pelvis or rectum?" ;
ex:Rarelyornever_5 ) ;
pplan:hasOutputVar ex:epic_q48_var .