1. The Music Industry
By the end of the lesson you should understand the
basic structure of the music industry.
You need to know what large media conglomerates
are and how record labels operate.
You need to choose your first case study artist &
label and start developing a map of the companies
relating to the artist and label.
• In pairs, how many different kinds of jobs can
you think of which contribute to the music
industry? Make a list of at least eight.
• Use link to help you - roles
• Compile a list as a class.
Sony Music Entertainment
1. Create a tree diagram to show the UK subsidiary record
labels that are part of Sony, Universal or Warner. Add
some example artists for each record label.
1. Pick an artist & record label to use as one of your case
1. Develop a map to show the relationship between the
artist and all the companies they work with in the music
industry (Prezi?!). Include the artist manager, record
label, publisher, conglomerate and anything else you can
find out about live events management, producers, etc.
for the artist.