The slides provides a brief presentation of the Crisis Response Lab - a research collective located in Gothenburg. Its members represents University of Gothenburg, Viktoria Institute, Chalmers University.
CRISIS RESPONSE LAB
Improving IT‐use for crisis response.
Viktoria Ins6tute. Chalmers University. University of Gothenburg. Lindholmen Science Park: Security Arena
Crisis Response Lab
Improving IT‐use for crisis response by:
• Developing empirical knowledge
• Based on proven methodology
• From in‐depth ﬁeld studies
• Materialized results in solid prototypes for real‐world deployment
• In close collaboraCon with crisis response organizaCons and soluCons providers
• With the explicit goal of ensuring world‐class products for a global market.
CANDIDATE PROJECT CONCEPTS
R&D DESIGN ASSESSMENT
SERVICES SERVICES SERVICES
NETWORK OF PEOPLE
The Crisis Response Lab conducts high quality research in the area of emergency
and crisis response. We use a qualitaCve research approach with ﬁeld‐studies,
workshops, interviews and document analysis as primary techniques.
We have extensive experience in studying, designing and evalua6ng a range of
diﬀerent applicaCons: Mobile incident support systems, Live Video BroadcasCng,
Distributed dispatch systems, Ephemeral and persistent contact management,
InteracCve eventlog and formal documentaCon systems, Mashup‐based map
Our research are presented and published in peer‐reviewed research papers,
reports and demos at InternaConal Academic Conferences and InternaConal
Research projects are funded by NaConal Research Funds and Government
Agencies and EU‐framework programs
In connecCon to every research project, we conduct research dissemina6on
workshops where the results are presented and discussed with policy‐makers and
pracCConers in public organizaCons and industry.
R & D SERVICES
Crisis Response Lab has experCse and resources to support, plan and execute R&D‐
oriented projects in close collabortaion with industry and public organizaCons.
R&D services include but are not limited to:
Framework and infrastructure design
Crisis Response Lab oﬀers R&D services, such as: forming project consorCums,
applying for funding, providing resources and experCse on domain speciﬁc topics.
Combined and larger R&D acCvCCes are organized as projects that are funded by
NaConal innovaCon programs, EU‐framework programs, public‐private
The Crisis Response Lab has extensive experience in transforming high quality
research results into design implicaCons for commercial soluCons.
We oﬀer the Design Services as a systemaCc and cost‐eﬃcient approach for
soluCon providers to radically improve their exisCng and future applicaCons and
soluCons to target the real‐world needs in the emergency and crisis response
Design services include but are not limited to:
– Knowledge Transfer Workshops
– Radical Design Workshops
– Technology‐speciﬁc Design Improvement
The Design Services consist of a structured process where researchers, in a series
of workshops work in close collaboraCon with concept designers, product
designers, developers and professional end‐users to bring competeCve advantage
to exisCng or future products.
We oﬀer assessment services of new or exisCng applicaCons and systems in
exercise seZngs or as part of everyday response work.
System assessment or evaluaCon in real‐world seZngs has proven to result in
fundamental and criCcal knowledge about the strengths and weakness of an
applicaCon or system.
Clients consists of public organizaCons that need expert second‐opinions as part of
a procurement process or soluCons providers that need an assessment as part of
Organiza6ons we have been involved with:
Greater Gothenburg Fire & Rescue Services
Stockholm Fire and Rescue Services
City of Gothenburg
• Blue Mobile Systems
Lilla Edet community
Lund Fire & Rescue Services
Regional administraCve Board Västra Götaland
Paramedics Services Sahlgrenska University
Hospital Lindholmen Science Park: Security Arena
Swedish NaConal Road AuthoriCes
Swedish Railroad AuthoriCes
Swedish Rescue Agency
Swedish Emergency Management Agency
MSB Swedish Civil ConCngency Agency
The Crisis Reponse Lab is conCnuously looking for collaboraCon with other academic
research groups, industrial design groups and pracCConers.
CANDIDATE PROJECT CONCEPTS
1. HasCly Formed Networks 15. Mobile Live Video Services in response work
2. Common OperaCng picture 16. Digital footprint exploitaCon
3. Temporary infrastructures 17. Social analyCcs services
4. Mashup‐based applicaCons 18. Market‐based dispatch methodology
5. Social socware for professional crisis response 19. InformaCon appliances in sensor network
6. Quickly deployable services for bio‐decease
20. StandardizaCon interfaces for VerCcal COP‐
7. Systems for Private – Professional crisis
21. Extending Super‐staConary systems with consumer
8. Crisis communicaCon on a Mass‐scale
22. Open‐innovaCon based informaCon systems
9. Augmented reality in command centre seZngs
23. InnovaCon models for public crisis response
10. Smart‐room technology for command centre
24. Open government informaCon infrastructures
11. Audio‐based event reporCng
25. Long‐tail business models for global system
12. Wearable, Mobile and Handheld technology for
26. New collaboraCve models for research‐driven
13. Mobile phone based services for crisis managers
14. Tiny collaboraCve systems for crisis response
27. Service‐based soluCons in crisis response
NETWORK OF PEOPLE
Urban Nulden, Associate Professor, University of Gothenburg. Fang Chen, Assocociate Professor, Chalmers.
Jonas Landgren, Assistant Professor, University of Gothenburg & Research Manager, Viktoria InsCtute,
Fredrik Bergstrand, Ph.D‐student, University of Gothenburg, Anna Gryszkiewcz, PhD‐student, Chalmers.
Henrik Andersson, Student, University of Gothenburg. Christoﬀer Eliasson, Student, University of Gothenburg.
The Crisis Response Lab is looking for internaConal partnerships and research collaboraCon
with foreign universiCes, research insCtutes, industry and public organizaCons.
We are members of the ISCRAM‐community (www.iscram.org)
Research Manager, Viktoria InsCtute
Assistant Professor, University of Gothenburg
firstname.lastname@example.org : jonaslandgren.blogspot.com