How can you get it all done?
• Create a file folder…preferably a file box with
LOTS of folders!
• Use an organizer, planner or smartphone!
• Write down ALL of the important dates and
applications, payments, scholarships, & visits.
• Set alarms & reminders.
• Give yourself MORE than enough time to get it
Use Your RESOURCES!!!
• Guidance Counselor- Conferences coming soon!
• Counselors’ Corner Weekly Newsletter
(library, CC, blog)
• Edmodo- group code v2zxc8
• WHS College Handbook (website, blog)
• Recommendation Letter Packet
(CC, blog, website)…start now!
• Follow us on Twitter @whsguidance
• WHS Scholarship Page
• WHS Guidance Blog
• Remind 101 –Everyone get out your phone. Text 205-
544-2839 with the message @c9502. It will then send
you a response asking for your full name.
• Herff-Jones Senior Supplies October 1stFlex Pd.
• Order Senior Supplies October 8th 7:00-7:45am
– $100 deposit
– DO NOT pay deposit if you plan to sell enough magazines
to get free cap & gown
• National College Fair BJCC September 15th
• AHSGE- September 16th -20th
• BSCC College Fair- September 23rd 9:00-9:30 am
• College Recruiter Visits
– UNA Oct. 3rd
– Alabama Oct. 4th
– BSC Oct. 8th
– UWA Oct. 23rd
WHS College Bound
Sept. 30th-October 4th
• COLLEGE NIGHT- 6-8 pm WHS September 30th
• College Recruiter Lunch Visits- Career Center
everyday 3rd block
• Wear Your College Colors- Wed., October 2nd
• Prizes!....so go ahead and sign up to follow us on
Fall College Tours
• The University of Montevallo- Oct. 15th
• The University of North Alabama- Oct. 30th
• The University of Alabama at Birmingham- Nov. 13th
Requirements to attend trip listed below each trip.
Permission slips are required and will be available in the Career Center
two weeks before each event.
Students must bring money to purchase lunch or bring own lunch.
Space is limited and available on a “first come, first served” basis.
GPA, ACT and discipline will be taken into consideration in creating list of
students attending trip.
List will be posted on Mrs. Higgins’ door the day before each trip and
emailed to the faculty.
Have you still not taken the ACT?
• Next ACT Test Date
• September 21, 2013
• Registration Deadline:
September 6, 2013
(late fee applies)
• First available test date: October 26, 2013
Registration deadline: September 27, 2013
Additional ACT Dates
Test Date Registration Deadline (Late Fee Required)
$36.50 or $52.50 w/writing add $22
October 26, 2013 September 27, 2013
September 28 –
October 11, 2013
December 14, 2013 November 8, 2013 November 9 – 22, 2013
February 8, 2014* January 10, 2014 January 11 – 24, 2014
April 13, 2014 March 7, 2014 March 8 – 21, 2014
June 14, 2014 May 9, 2014 May 10 – 237, 2014
REGISTER ONLINE at http://www.act.org
• $125 fee
• Checks only- made out to ScorePlus
• Deadline to register Sept. 20th
• Flyer & registration packet are
available in the CC on the counter
• For specific questions call Score Plus
at 256-661-4559 or visit website at
Is it too early to apply?
• Visit the website of EVERY college you are
considering applying to.
• Go to the admission page or click on
• Find out the steps involved in their admission
& scholarship application process.
• Write down the deadline dates for admissions
HERE ARE SOME EXAMPLES
OF WEBSITES FOR
SCHOOLS IN OUR AREA.
How many schools should I apply to?
• We suggest that you narrow your search down to 3-4
schools this fall.
• Paperwork can be overwhelming and it can be costly to
apply to numerous schools.
• However, if a school is a real possibility, do not hesitate to
• You may be surprised at scholarship money offered by
some private schools. It can often make the final cost more
• Your choice may come down to finances. In the spring you
will receive award letters from each school to which you
applied. You and your parents can compare offers and
make a decision that is best for your family.
• Transcripts should be requested two weeks in
advance in the Career Center from Mrs. Dozier
by YOU, the student.
• No phone calls or email requests.
• A request sent by a college or Common App
will not suffice.
• Transcripts must be “official” (mailed by the
• Free until you graduate!
• You will need to obtain the name & address of
the school or admissions office.
How to Request a Transcript
• Mrs. Dozier
• Two weeks in advance
• Transcript request form
• Addressed envelope with stamp for each school
NO return address
The University of Alabama
Office of Undergraduate Admissions
Tuscaloosa, AL 35487-0132
Need more help with that?
• Where is the Career Center?
At the corner of
main and 4th hall
Who is Mrs. Dozier?
She is our very busy, hardworking registrar.
Submitting ACT Scores
• You must submit official test scores.
• While we do have an ACT label when you send
your scores to us, that is not an official score.
• If you did not include the school on the list
when you signed up to take the test, you may
pay a fee to have your score sent to additional
schools. You will do this from your account at
What else can I be doing?
• Join CLUBS!
• Participate in COMMUNITY SERVICE!
• STUDY! This semester counts!