Jay Rogers of Local Motors uses micro
factories and mass collaboration to
design and manufacture automobiles.
Linux shows that open source can
generate big profits.
• Cost 10 billion to produce.
• Now a 50 billion a year industry.
• Embraced by IBM, Google and Apple.
But some critics say Linux and the
open source movement is socialism.
Many large corporations have
embraced open collaboration and
have realized huge profits.
• Proctor and Gamble uses InnoCentive, an
online collective of over 200 000 scientists.
• The problem of wrinkle free shirts was solved
by a scientist in the semi conductor field; the
wisdom of the crowd and open innovation.
Can we really solve 21st century
problems without embracing the
principals of Wikinomics?
• The average car creates 28 tons of waste just
in its manufacturing.
• 600 million cars on the road at time of
• By 2050 there will be 700 million cars in China
We need an energy grid that is
intelligent, decentralized, transparent
and open source. Is this socialist?
What would a Wikinomics solution to
climate change look like?
• Scientists use Google Earth to track
• EarthLab, one of the most popular online
CDP works with institutional investors.
An organization based
in the United Kingdom
with shareholders and
emissions of major
Online detailed assessment of products
and the supply chain behind them.
Online collaboration tools for
• Sakai is a community of
and individuals who work
together to develop a
common Collaboration and
•Rate My Professors is the
best online tool for college
professor reviews and
ratings based on student
Citizens Science Alliance.
• The CSA is a collaboration of scientists,
software developers and educators who
collectively develop, manage and utilize
internet-based citizen science projects.
OpenWetWare is a wiki whose mission
is to support open research, education,
publication, and discussion in biological
sciences and engineering.
The Public Library of Science is a
nonprofit open access scientific
publishing project aimed at creating a
library of open access journals and other
scientific literature under an open
content license, and is now the most
respected medical journal in the world.
• Rate my MD.
• Patients Like Me, for people with rare
• Sermo, an online doctors lounge.
In the U.K. in 2006 Twitter revealed
what company was behind a toxic
waste spill in the Ivory Coast.
Even though there had been a
court ordered ban on media
Traditional media is greatly impacted
by the internet; revenues dropping.
• Traditional media did not predict the
economic crash of 2008, because it is owned
by Wall Street.
• Investigative Journalism has suffered.
• ProPublica , non-profit online investigative
Leo Laporte started his own podcast
because he refused to dumb his
material down. It is now the most
popular tech show in the world
Revolution: Wikinomics in
• One of the first places we saw the impact of
social media on international politics was in
Iran’s Green Revolution in 2009.
• And the Arab Spring in 2010.
• The five principals of Wikinomics in
government. Open data in government.
Davos World Economic Forum
• We need a new approach based on
collaboration and transparency.
Netsquared matching entrepreneurs
with social activism, focusing on
The six rules of Wikinomics.
1. Don’t just create a product, create a
2. Share your intellectual property.
3. Encourage people to organize.
4. Promote talented leadership.
5. Broaden and deepen cultural collaboration.
6. Empower the net generation.