Airworthy Aircrafts are Safe Aircrafts
• For safety reasons the flying aircrafts have to be
• Airworthy means:
▫ the aircrafts have to be maintained as per
▫ The proper records and paper works are
▫ All the required modifications are done.
• The aircrafts have been flying regularly.
• Works to be done by Qualified Personnel
Qualified Personnels: Aircraft
• They are qualified personnel who repair and
maintain the aircrafts.
• They had undergone an approved training
• They were examined by the authority and
carried a current license.
• They are practicing their skills continuously.
Nature of Maintenance Works
• There are basically four (4) types of work to be
done on an aircraft: Number 1 – Testing
▫ Testing is done at regular interval to check the
proper operation of a system.
▫ Functional Test - to check for its normal
▫ System test goes deeper to check for the integrity
and set up the adjustment.
▫ Test is also carried out to identify the fault caused
• Repair is required when the systems or parts do
not operate as they should be.
• It can be a simple job such as changing a light
• I can be a major job such as making a structure
repair after a minor collision with a ground
• All repair works have to follow the approved
manual or instructions by the aircraft
Aircraft Maintenance Job:
• When a component reach the determined life, it
has to be overhauled to revise its useful life.
• It will involve the stripping the components to
its smaller parts.
• Testing and checking for wear and tear
• Replacing life items.
• Reassemble and testing
• Revision of the service life
Aircraft Maintenance Works:
• Modification is required when there is problem
with existing design or materials.
• It is also done when there is a change to the
• Modification is required if a better design is
• It will require the instruction from the
authorities or aircraft manufacturer.
Qualification To Join
• GCEs or equivalent
• 18 years old or older
• Airline will put in higher requirement, for
example diploma in engineering related
Qualification and Maintenance System
• the qualification or licensing system will
depending on your country’s civil aviation
• Some countries still operate on BCAR section L
• BCAR system will have 5 qualification groups
• USA is using the FAA system
• Europe were using the JAR, which provide the
guideline and it had to be implemented by
• The latest is the EASA .
Classification of Job
• The job is technical
• The maintenance engineering will do a hand-on
job repairing the aircraft
• It is not an office or desk job
• The works has to be done 24 hours a day, so do
expect to work shift.
• It can be an open air job repairing the aircraft in
the tarmac in the middle of cold winter or hot
summer, in the rain or sunshine