You know that looking for a job is a mostly a matter of who you know. You know you need to network, to find those loose connections. Sometimes, networking feels as if you are a “social” butterfly, never making real connections. You fall into networking traps, instead of networking with authenticity.
We’ll address eight common networking traps and discuss what to do instead so that your networking is successful and helps your job search.
What you will learn:
1. Why Spray-and-Pray is hurtful to you, and what to do instead.
2. Why you can’t network from your chair.
3. How to “work a room.” (You don’t have to work the entire room.)
4. Why you can’t network in the same places all the time.
5. How to organize your networking so you’re not just networking all the time.
6. How to be aware of when your not-job-searching is taking precedence over your job search
7. What Impostor Syndrome is, and how to avoid it.
8. Why a zombie profile on LinkedIn can hurt you.