What is Bib.fm? Digitized cd collection of 1 pilot library Streaming player (30s – full track) Library card number login Limited use of 10 hours/monthSubjective metadata (moods, bpm, hardness, genres, ...) and recommender of Aristo Music Last.fm API recommender Integration into library search engine
extreme user testing = 14-25 year oldshttp://www.bibnet.be/portaal/Bibnet/Publiekstoepassingen/Bib.fm/
10 interviews of 75 minutes context, test, evaluation
ﬁrst impression • WOW suprise • I totally did not expect this from a library • I couldn t imagine anything, but this is better then anything I could have imagined. • after ﬁrst use: many questions, comments, tips, ... • very different and personal: some patterns!
• All of a sudden, these strange numbers appear ... • This next button is making me insane, I just can t seem to ﬁgure out what it does exactly. Grrrr • If you use backspace, you log out of the system, and you can not go back to your search history.
screen lay out • Could be bigger, too much scrolling • Page system does not work right. Page with one result is ridiculous. Maybe you could use inﬁnity scroll ... • I like to choose how many items I can see on a page. Like on webshops ...
mainstreamfear • it would be OK for my mom ... • It s not complete, totally not, and it s not possible to listen to all of the songs in the collection, strange ... frustrating .... • Only those typical artists, nothing underground
• too many ﬁlters • not the right ones • very confusing
• I prefer to click in stead of drowning in possibilities. • Soo much information, it takes a while till you understand ... • Filter is cool but too many irrelevant elements: language, tempo, atmosphere • so many ﬁlter - options but not the simple ones you need. Artists, albums, songs ... • What does happy, energetic or cosy mean? • A bit more google in the search engine please.
• I would use it if it has an impressive COMPLETE content. Including rare things you can not ﬁnd elsewhere. • a good idea to combine other music applications like Last Fm • I would really use it if you can have a personalised account • I would use it to make playlists, but that is not possible now ... • I would like to use it on my I pod ...
• from my home, bedroom is cool! • to discover music • perfect for musiclovers who want to be informed • an extra music service besides others • perfect for things that are not worthwile downloading, ... shameful things, memory lane • I would use it if it s free • If my mom would pay for it ...
look en feel • not horrible • Simple, sober. OK • classic • Not really attractive. Maybe a bit more sleek? • it s more important that it works fast and easy. If it s fast, I m not bothered by the look • It has a bit of a government - style but that s OK for a library • Youtube does not look hip and fresh. But people love it and use it anyway
Some conclusions, mechanisms ... • it s a good idea, but there s a long way to go ...
efﬁciency • clear • simple • fast • logic • OR GONE
the simpler, the better ... • applies not only to young users
Bib fm assets • extended collection (new + old, mainstream + rare) • independent solid • ﬁne - free • local + international
challenge = • Get rid of the bad part of the classical image and keep the good authentic elements and character! + add innovative, high - tech functional
the pace of innovation exceeds our understanding the greatest value is in the mass placeWorld Creativity Forum 2011 / Malcolm the organisation that Gladwell makes the most out of the innovations, has the last slide resources least