Best of Microsoft Ignite 2016 - SharePoint and Office 365
I’ve asked my MVP friend Chris Givens, a community favorite DJ and SharePoint insider to join me and Barry Jinks, CEO of Colligo who was the first to build solid SharePoint tools for iPhone, Android, Macintosh and embrace the entire mobile ecosystem. I want to open up some serious dialog around some key SharePoint topics that address head on some of the most interesting questions in our industry.
I believe these were the most important questions of the week at Ignite in the SharePoint and Office 365 space…
Will Flow and PowerApps truly be the replacement for Infopath and SharePoint Designer? Is that a good wait and see strategy? Microsoft thinks so. We’ll discuss Chris McNulty’s session on Infopath to Flow and PowerApps and give you our perspective including highlights from the session.
SharePoint 2016 adoption seems slow. Is there truth to that? What is the latest on the upgrade and migration story including the dates on the first “Feature Pack” for 2016 and the roadmap of SharePoint Framework for 2016?
Will the SharePoint Framework take over as a viable dev platform? When should we retool and should we take it seriously? How do we approach it and will it last?
What’s up with the SharePoint community? User Groups dropping like flies. Is it shrinking or looking for an Office 365 identity?
How did the Nintex, AvePoint RedParty and Metalogix MetaFest party go? Do announcements from top ISVs have any insights into where we are going? Yes! Huge insights I’ve gained from simply looking at what’s new from these vendors and conversations at the networking events.
Any new and cool apps in the expo hall? I’ll share my thoughts about some of my favorites and insights. Are we in expand or contract mode? What’s the Future of the SharePoint App store and Add Ins?
What the democratization of choice? How could we possibly embrace a model of choice more social, cloud collab and sharing apps across from Slack, Box, Dropbox, OneDrive, SP on prem and cloud in an enterprise?
Bot Framework and SharePoint. Insights? Hololens and SharePoint? Really? Yes!
• Key & Not To Miss Announcements
• SharePoint Product Roadmap
• Top of Mind for 2017
• Highlights and Messages
• Panel Discussions
• Infopath & SharePoint Designer vs. Flow and PowerApps
• SharePoint Framework
• Featurepack 1 & 2
• SharePoint Community
• Democritization of IT
• Future of Apps… where we go from here
• Colligo Engage
Announcements & Coming soon
Windows 2016 & System Center 2016 shipped
• Group based license assignments
• New Admin UI
• Increased Security on many levels
• Customer controlled encryption keys
• Network and Device control
• Team site classification
• MyAnalytics and Team site webpart PowerBI Integration
• Preview 20 new file types (many Adobe formats)
• Team News and News Rollup
• New faster site creation with team site + groups
• Skype for Biz MacOS client released in October
• Unified Auditing across Cloud and On Prem
• OneDrive item and folder level selective sync either way
is back on the roadmap and UI was demoed
• Delve new people cards and updates to Microsoft Graph
Feature Pack 1 – To ship in Nov 2016!
• Min Role updates – smaller footprint
• Taxonomy cloud service (supports hybrid)
• Custom App Launcher
• OneDrive UX
• SharePoint Mobile App for Android & Windows
• Updated Modern Lists: Many updates coming
• Responsive Publishing Site
Release Cadence & Schedule
• Monthly public updates
• Feature Pack 2 (second half of 2017)
SPFx – SharePoint Framework *hot topic*
• Typescript, Gulp, React, Yeoman
• SharePoint Webhooks
• Sites and Lists in Graph
• SharePoint Add in improvements
of IT and how
visible was this
Any new and cool
apps in the expo
What’s the Future of
Will Flow and
PowerApps truly be
for InfoPath and
Infopath & SharePoint Designer vs.
PowerApps & Flow
• Infopath 2013 supported until 2026
• PowerApps is the successor to InfoPath, but does not seek feature parity.
• SharePoint Designer 2013 is supported until 2026
• Flow is the successor to SPD Workflows for “basic” automation
• Flow and PowerApps will have further governance by release
• Flow & PowerApps will be included in most Office 365 and Dynamics
365 SKUs with slight differences in Home and Personal SKUs
What is the latest on the
SharePoint 2016 upgrade
and migration story?
Update on “Feature Pack”
Coming Nov 2016!
FastTrack to Success – Migration to Office 365
• Free* from Microsoft and partners
• Now Includes SharePoint, Box, Gdrive, FileShares!
* For qualified customers 150 seats and above.