Private cloud / on premises
Distinction by management
Evolution to DB as a Service
Distinction by evolution
Private / Public Cloud:
• Catalog of Services
• Licenses vs metering
• Automated cost allocation
• Shared resources
• Rapid service elasticity
…as long as costs, reliability, security,
performance etc. meets the demands.
OEM13c – Create DBaaS
• Generate SSH keys - needed for creating cloud services
• Get a [Trial] Subscription to the Oracle Database
• Complete a wizard to request provisioning of a Database Cloud
Service Instance (2)
prerequisites deployment agent
Hybrid Cloud Agent:
• You can deploy a Hybrid Cloud Agent only on an Oracle Linux x86-64
• The Hybrid Cloud Gateway Agent is supported on all operating systems
Deploying agent - Root.sh
• Deployed as user Oracle. User OPC has sudo privilege.
• Either set the "oracle.sysman.prov.agentpush.enablePty" property to
true in property-file on OMS
• Disable the "requiretty" flag in the sudoers file.
• Or ignore the warning and run root.sh manually (OPC)
“In Oracle Database Cloud - Database as a Service databases, user-
created tablespaces are encrypted by default. “
“All new tablespaces you create in a Database as a
Service database are encrypted by default”. However, the
tablespaces that were created when you created the database
deployment are not encrypted.
Cloning databases to on
premises / private database !
Hybrid mgmt Oracle Cloud:
• Hybrid Cloud Agent is supported only on Oracle Linux x86-64
• Cloning of on-premise Weblogic-domains to Oracle Cloud
• Database: Active Data Guard support for Database Cloud Service
instances, management of standby databases on Oracle Cloud
AWS Plugin for OEM13c
“ Have questions about this plugin? Oracle does not support this Plug-in, but
community support is provided via the Oracle Enterprise Manager OTN Forum “
• Monitor EBS, EC2 and RDS instances on Amazon Web Services
• Gather performance metrics and configuration details for AWS instances
• Raise alerts and violations based on thresholds set on monitoring
• Generate reports based on the gathered data
• Hybrid Cloud Management only on Oracle Cloud - for now
– Easy to deploy Hybrid Cloud Agents
– DBaaS and JCS Cloud monitoring and management acts as on-premises
– Be aware of licenses versus metered/unmetered
– Configuration management including Search and Inventory, comparison
between on-premise and cloud instances, configuration history, and compliance
– Cloning between on-premise / private cloud and Oracle Cloud
• No focus yet on Amazon and Azure.
• A Happy Marriage with one partner only.