email@example.com or firstname.lastname@example.org
House of the Scorpion
• Summer Reading Novel
• Introduce Symbolism
• Crossover Google Map
project with World
• Review Paragraph Writing
• Short story unit starts in first
• Review the elements of fiction
(plot, characterization, literary
• Continue practicing paragraph
writing; using quotes to support
• Writing on the blog, introducing
a real audience.
The Diary of Anne Frank
• Compare primary to secondary
sources (diary to play).
• Compare secondary sources
from same material (play to play);
• Learn literary device: dramatic
• Literature circle with
• Use the New York Times
historical newspaper database.
Haroun and the Sea of Stories
• Continue to practice with literary
devices, especially symbolism and
• Author’s intention.
• The 5 Paragraph Essay.
• Using quotes to support
Africa Literature Circle
• Students select books related to a
• Ties into Africa studies in World
• Practice annotating for discussion.
• Discuss novel with small group;
discuss common themes with whole
• Keeping a reading journal.
To Kill a Mockingbird
• How does historical knowledge
play a part in reading a text?
• What makes a book a classic?
• Putting it all together: a chance to
practice reading and writing skills
with a difficult text.
• Poetry is throughout the
• Recognize literary devices.
• Learn basics of poetry:
conventions and different
• Enjoy poetry as the ART
• Write poetry from a