Readings and Questions from: Global Forces of the Twentieth Century: Chapter 13
Nationalism in Asia
Japan Post-War Tensions /Occupation
1. Explain the nature of the United States’ occupation of Japan after the Second World War. How
was the territory that Japan lost at the end of WWII distributed?
2. How did the growing tensions of the US and USSR affect Japan?
3. What was Japan’s position on collective security? Why do you think Japan followed this policy?
Industry and Trade
4. Evaluate the economic power of Japan and comment on its place in the international
marketplace.What problems did Japan face in the reconstruction of its economy post WWII?
Wars of National Liberation
5. Explain how the “Asia for the Asians” movement contributed to the wars of national liberation
that were so common in the latter part of the 20th Century.
India and Pakistan
6. What was the major issue in the achievement of India’s independence from Britain? How was
the issue resolved?
7. What is the significance of the Jammu-Kashmir and the Khyber Pass? Explain how and why the
region has been a source of tension between India and Pakistan.
The Cold War in Asia/Korea
8. What role did the United Nations play in the Korean War? Why?
9. Explain why China became involved in the Korean War. Evaluate Mao’s policy on the Yalu
border. Was it reasonable?
10. Why was General MacArthur dismissed by Truman? Why was the Korean War limited? Do you
agree with these decisions? Explain.
Vietnam/ Background to US Involvement
11. Explain the French position in Indo-China.
12. How did the Korean War affect the Vietnam War?
13. What occurred in 1954 at Dein Bien Phu? Explain its significance for the French and the
14. What was the aim of Ho Chi Minh and his followers? Why did the USA not recognize Ho Chi
Minh’s Government? Do you think this was a mistake? Explain.
15. Explain how the revolution in Vietnam began. How did the Diem government respond? What
were the political ramifications of these events?
The Tonkin Resolution
16. Evaluate the Gulf of Tonkin incident in 1964 in relation to subsequent events. How was it
important? What is your opinion regarding the controversy surrounding the Gulf of Tonkin
End of the War
17. What were the results of the Paris Agreements in 1973?
Case Study: Nuclear Threat
18. What Incentives were offered North Korea to halt its nuclear arms program?
19. Why did Kim Jong-Il agree to the demands of the international community to allow nuclear
20. How was North Korea able to continue its nuclear program without being discovered?
Chapter 13: Vocabulary
1. Prime Minister Yoshida
2. General Douglas MacArthur in relation to the Korean War
3. Allied Council for Japan/Far East Commission
5. Premier Nakasone
6. Prime Minister Sato
7. Economic Imperialism
8. Jawaharlal Nehru
9. President Sukarno
10. All-India Congress
11. Muslim League
12. The Mountbatten Plan
14. Khyber Pass
16. General Pervez Musharraf
17. Syngman Rhee
18. Premiere Zhou Enlai
19. Formosa (Taiwan)
20. Kim Dae Jung
21. The Three Kys/French Indo-China
22. Viet Minh
23. Bao Dai
24. 17th Parallel
25. Dien Bien Phu
26. Ho Chi Minh Trail
27. General Navarre
28. Ngo Dinh Diem
29. Southeast Asia Treaty Organization
30. Domino Theory
31. Viet Cong
33. The Green Berets
34. Tonkin Resolution
35. Lyndon Johnson
36. Premier Pham Van Dong
37. Tet Offensive
38. General Westmoreland
40. North/South Vietnam
41. Boat People
42. Free Market